Z- axis limit switch permanently on

I have a Shapeoko Pro XXL for years. Today it suddenly gave me a limit switch error during the initialization process. The router goes straight down until it cannot go any further and makes a grinding noise. The initialization immediately stops and the error message appears stating “Machine controller restarted unexpectedly and may be in undefined state.” Followed by “GRBL error: Homing failed, full off didn’t clear” then “Homing Cycle Failed” and finally “Limit Switch Error (Z).” I’ve tried troubleshooting the problem, that’s how I realized the Z limit switch is permanently on. I have unplugged all the wires and replugged them after checking for bad connections or crimps. Still does not work. Please help. I am stuck here and need this problem fixed.

Write in to support@carbide3d.com and we will work out how to get a replacement to you.

If your homing switch shows the red light all the time and in settings it shows activated all the time you will have to replace it. If under warranty c3d will spend if out of warranty you will have to buy one. They are cheap and easy to replace.

You could swap position to see if the problem follows the switch or stays in the position.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. I ordered the replacement z-axis limit switch. I just recently installed it and the problem went away. The z-axis limit switch light is not permanently on anymore. But unfortunately now when I start a new job, the router moves all the way to the NE corner instead of the bottom right corner (SW). I have the Toolpath Zero set to Lower-Left. That’s always been my starting point for all my projects. Never had this problem before. But for some reason it’s not starting the project in the right spot. How do I fix this problem?

Where is the origin set in the file?

How are you setting origin relative to the stock?

Review:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswcc/02/

and

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswso/06/

If that doesn’t help, let us know the specifics and we will do our best to assist.

The Toolpath Zero is set to Lower-Left. And the zero height is at the top of the stock.

I can jog the router in rapid position to the desired location with no problem. If I click NE, the router moves to the NE corner. If I click C, the router moves to the center and so on. The problem only happens when I hit start on the project after I have set the speed and power on the router.

The router is still moving in the wrong direction and my origin is lower-left. How to fix?

The Toolpath Zero is set to Lower-Left. And the zero height is at the top of the stock.

Upload the .c2d file and let us know step-by-step how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and a photo showing the machine at the origin (or a specified offset from that position).

CL SERIES REC 1.375.c2d (1.4 MB)

Thank you. The problem was the X and Y was reset and not manually set to the correct location. The origin must have reset during the process of trying to fix the z-axis limit switch.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.