Apologies for reviving and old thread, but I’m having a similar issue and cannot figure out why this would be happening. I am cutting a very thin piece of stock, too thin to use the BitZero so I am setting X,Y, and Z manually. Once I start the Job Z is reset to too low and is plowing the bit into the stock.
Here are the steps that I am taking. Please note that I’m not changing bits at any time.
- Turn on machine
- open Carbide Motion
- click Connect to Cutter
- Click Initialize Machine
- Machine homes and then prompts to change tool. The tool that I want to use is already installed (1/16" end mill) so I click Resume
- The machine runs the bit setter sequence.
- I then Jog the machine to the bottom left corner of the stock and set X and Y using the SET ZERO button and clicking the ZERO X and ZERO Y buttons
- I then use the paper method to set Z, click the SET ZERO button again and click the ZERO Z button.
- Next I use the RAPID POSITION button to double check that everything is correct. After clicking RAPID POSITION and both the RAPID TO CURRENT XY and RAPID TO CURRENT Z + 6mm I can see that the X, Y, and Z are correctly set to 0, 0, and 6.0 and the end mill is in the correct position.
- Next I click Run and LOAD NEW FILE
- Select the file that I’d like to run and click Open.
- I then click START JOB and then START
- I get the Tool Change Required popup prompting for the 1/16" bit that has been in the machine this entire time. I click RESUME
- The machine checks Z again with BitSetter
- I’m then get the Spindle Change Required prompt. I turn on the router and click RESUME
- The bit plunges into the stock and cuts 3mm too deep
- I click the PAUSE button and then the STOP button.
- The machine homes again.
- I then click JOG and RAPID POSITION
- Then click RAPID TO CURRENT XY and then RAPID TO CURRENT Z + 6MM.
- At this point I can see that the bit is now only 3mm above the stock even though the Z position says it should be at 6mm.
I never change the tool throughout this entire process. Any ideas on how this 3mm in Z height is lost?