Z-Axis Plate seems tilted Clockwise

I am trying to tram my SO3 XXL.
Using the Edge technologies Pro Tram System, it seems like the Z-Axis Plate is tilted clockwise such that the left side measures higher than the right side by about 1mm.
This is consistent across the Y travel of the washboard that I surfaced.
BTW, it is also a bit off in the Y-travel as surfacing caused angled steps that are about .3 deep/tall, which I think I have slightly corrected since discovering.
So, thinking through what it could be, what steps to start with from V-wheels being tight, which they are, to the plates maybe having holes drilled off-square, etc?
Thanks in advance.

Tem

PS- Does C3D have a trouble shooting “chart”?

Hi Tem,

The problem is more than likely inconsistent tensioning between the two v-wheels on the z-axis. If one of your vwheels is fully tightened (rotated to the 9o’clock position) and the other is at 6o’clock, then uneven pressure is put on the opposing wheels, resulting in a slight cant to the plate. You can also identify this problem if only 3 of the 4 v-wheels are contacting the rails.

The v-wheels should be rotated to the same ‘degree’ relative to each other so they are pushing hte static vwheels equally against the opposing rail.

-Edward

2 Likes

Wondering about this on the z axis plate… if the left side is at 9 oclock than the right side should be at 3 oclock??? So the excentric is pushing out away from the middle… is this correct ? because the nut is excentric not the hole in the plate.,in the assembly pictures for the right side it looks like the widest part of the nut is at 3 oclock. Thanks Edward, Jude

On the Z plate the eccentric nuts are top and bottom, X plate they are left and right. The most pressure will be applied with the screw closest to the rail when you adjust the eccentric nut. For example, on the X axis plate the greatest amount of pressure will be applied when the screw is at 12 o’clock, least amount at 6 o’clock.

It is also important to ensure the z axis rails are square to the bottom of the X plate and exactly parallel to each other.

2 Likes

OK. Thanks for the insight and advice.
There is a point where I will accept a tolerance and work within it rather than constantly fussing with screws and recalibrating.

Hi Tem - try to get to that point sooner than later :slight_smile: You could spend a lifetime putzing around with ‘calibrating’ when in the end the delta between ‘stock tolerance’ and ‘tweaked tolerance’ may be insignificant to your application.

Here are the most important things to do:

1. are all the bolts are tight
  2. are your belts are tensioned enough?
  3. are the eccentrics are adjusted?
  4. is your spindle mount is tight to the plate?

If you can answer yet to all 4 of those questions - then it’s go time!

-Edward

3 Likes

Other than the belt tension, not sure how to test that, but:

If I lightly pluck them like guitar strings they seem tight, but slightly different sound/tone.

Thanks for your advice. I think we are on the same page.

1 Like