Z crashing when bitsetter is disabled

It won’t let me reply to the previous thread, but something - likely Carbide Motion - is seriously broken.

Any time I turn off bitsetter I get Z crashes.

I can reproduce every time:

• Initialize
  • Verify bit setter is disabled in Settings
  • Manually Zero machine
  • Load file, Start
  • Regardless of current Z position it raises the Z to near the top, then asks to insert the tool.
  • I click resume and it goes to the proper X-Y starting point for the job, but continues traveling upwards and crashes Z

Bitsetter wastes extraordinary amounts of time, but I cannot use the machine without it because it otherwise crashes.

Here’s the Gcode file, though anything I create in Fusion 360 seems to have this problem. Not yet tested with Carbide Create (since it’s unusable for aluminum).
exp-origin-slot-top.nc (4.7 KB)

Where is your Z position for G28? Your first move is to move Z to its G28 position.

1 Like

I have no idea. How would I find that out?

Shouldn’t you disable BitSetter before you initialise the machine?

1 Like

Maybe. Doesn’t make a difference. I wrote that there for the sake of anyone trying to reproduce.

My bitsetter was off before initializing.

By the way, I mentioned this before in another thread, and contacted Carbide directly about this… You can get this same problem by following their Hello World tutorial letter-for-letter: Shapeoko 3 - Hello World - Carbide 3D (truly a terrible first impression, by the way)

I thought this was useful as a non-destructive way of using the machine for the very first time - and it’s a quick and dirty way of seeing how well the machine is trammed - or not. I’ve not run it since, though :roll_eyes:

Hmm, I’m out of ideas because I’ve not experienced the same issue - although I’ve had others!

Also, I have no clue about Fusion360, but I assume you’ve selected the correct post processor?

I’ve never cut aluminium, but I seem to recall others have used CC for that purpose. For my own interest, why do you say it’s unusable?

Thanks

Send $# through the MDI.

I’d just set G28, remove that line from your gcode, or disable it in Fusion as you Post Process.

G28 G91 Z0

Send $# through the MDI.
I’d just set G28, remove that line from your gcode, or disable it in Fusion as you Post Process.

I don’t know what this means but will try to find out. Does this recommendation imply you understand the problem, and if so what is it?

Thanks.

For my own interest, why do you say it’s unusable?
No ramping. And (though not specific to aluminum) no adaptive tool paths, and most importantly, no Rest machining.

Even if you accept the first two and resign to that limitation, trying to make a finished piece in CC without Rest options takes more time and hassle than learning Fusion 360 (no small feat).

1 Like

OK, that makes sense, thank you.

Sounds like your Z is crashing, right?

G28 is a parking location. You can set that location. By default it is on your homing switches. That MAY cause your Z to go to high and lose steps.
You have a retract of 15mm, unless you have a long endmill very thick stock, that shouldn’t be a problem.

You’re also using a “Generic 3-axis” post processor. I don’t see anything that would cause a crash, though. I’ve never looked at that one, but you might want to try Carbide’s or Grbl (or mine…got a link somewhere on the forum).

Right now, I’d remove the G28 line and see if that changes anything.

2 Likes

@mark1 After disabling BitSetter, and while you are zeroing click the “Clear All Offsets” button. See if that doesn’t cure your Z crashing problem.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I was clearing all offsets.

My so3 acts funny after unchecking BitSetter in cm. Even if I really initalize. So maybe clear offsets will help

The funny part is I get an air job even after setting z zero and then unchecking BitSetter. Even setting z zero after unchecking BitSetter still produces air job. I need to power down and start over.

After enabling or disabling the BitSetter, you need to reset your Z zero. The XY should not be affected.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 18 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.