Z homing not triggering limit sensor, but sensor works

So my S5 was working great. Did a project, turned everything off, all good. Came back a week later to cut something. Unfortunately, when the Z axis homed, it got to the top and didn’t trigger the limit sensor, so it never stopped trying to go up. Troubleshooting steps:

Manually moved it back down, started init and put a screwdriver tip to the limit sensor. This did stop the movement of z, so that proves the limit sensor itself is working (also see it working in debug).

Watched the red light on the sensor when the z axis is all the way to the top. It never turns read. It confirms my previous point that whatever metal there is in the gantry which should trigger the z limit sensor, well, doesn’t.

The z axis does hit the stepper motor, so i know it’s going as high as it can.

The two pics say it much better than words. Anyone have any ideas what could possibly be going wrong? Thx

There is (or should be) a metal post inside the HDZ mechanism which triggers the Z-axis homing switch — is that securely in place and free of debris?

I can feel a round metal piece around 1/2 to 1” long running horizontally and it seems like that would be what triggers the sensor. Is there something else instead? Do you have a pic of it so I can check to be sure?

Here:

Yes, this is it. It’s there. It doesn’t make sense. Yes not like that piece could move, right?

Let us know about this at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll have someone look into this with you.

I left a message to you guys yesterday morning, will you guys call me back or should I just call in again tomorrow? Thx.

So here is a pic of it. Does it look right? I see some threads, is that normal?

so just watched it while i moved it up and down, and it looks like that pin did work itself loose. i just tried tightening it with some needle nose pliers. i got it screwed back enough to where it does initialize. but how would i access it to really make sure it’s tight? thx!

We were a bit short-staffed over the past two days (I was off, and so were some other folks).

We will ring you back as soon as is possible.

The pin is supposed to be threadlocked in place, so apparently that failed in some way. I was pretty successful when tightening a similar assembly when I put a rubber band around it which simultaneously protected the part in quest, and also allowed putting a bit more torque on it by pulling the appropriate end of the rubber band and more importantly, kept it from loosening as I was tightening.

1 Like

@WillAdams unfortunately, as I was testing up and down motion further, it seems as if the down motion has a stutter now. A couple videos are attached via the icloud link below. But one thing I noticed, should this be spinning along with the rod?

i can also move the thingie with my finger. the motor itself doesn’t move, but the thingie and the rod does.

The folks at support should be able to walk through getting your Z-axis coupler and ball screw and motor turning in synch again.

@WillAdams thx for all the back and forth. i got it fixed. turns out i just needed to tighten the screws on the coupler.

so the only thing now is, how do i get that pin that triggers the z-axis to really be super tight once and for all? if it’s not threadlocked, i’m guessing it will come loose again. do i have to disassemble to get to it? any instructions? thx!

As I noted, I was once able to tighten a similar thing using pliers — and I mislike the idea of threadlock, being of the idealistic camp that a properly torqued fastener should not need chemical assistance.

Hopefully the folks at support can provide better guidance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.