Z-Plus or HDZ for Shapeoko 3

I have a standard Shapeoko 3 (with the nice aluminum bed). I plan on using it to cut aluminum here and there which seems to already do alirght… I am planning to order some supplies from the shop and was thinking about getting the Z-Plus or the HDZ (if its ever available) to future proof things…

Which one should I go for? Is there a significant benefit to justify waiting for the HDZ to be in stock or just go with Z-Plus?

The HDZ is more rigid, more precise, able to handle more weight (think spindle), and is narrower, increasing X-axis movement.

HDZ and use it to make Dan story style upgrade and put it on rails

I started with an SO3 XXL with the belt Z. I upgraded to the HDZ and love it. I bought a used XL and it had the Z-Plus. So having experience with both I like the HDZ better. They still sell the HDZ for the SO3 but since the SO4 and other newer machines not sure how much longer they will offer the HDZ for the SO3. If you want to upgrade get the HDZ. You can use the SO3 router mount on the HDZ. Not sure about the Z-Plus. If you have to replace the router mount it is $80.00. My HDZ is a 3.2 version so check if the original router mount still works on the newer model HDZ. The Dewalt is 69MM and the Makita/C3d is a 66MM router mount. The original SO3 router mount came with a 66MM adapter.

If you have the mechanical homing switches you also have to upgrade to the newer homing switches for either the HDZ or Z-Plus.

Yeah, availability for a standard Shapeoko 3 seems scarce right now according to the website… I wonder what a timeline would be for them to be in stock for standard

I got the machine in 2019 so I’m at least pretty sure the proximity switches are compatible

I just went to the C3D website and they show the HDZ for the SO3 in stock. There were 3 Z belt variations and a Z-Plus. The website did not say out of stock. Generally when something sells out they show “Sold Out”. This was at 01:49 CDT, 10/03/2020. Mileage varies.

1 Like

Sales said they will be available in about 2 weeks. The kit for the standard belt drive is out of stock :expressionless:

I cut aluminum almost exclusively and I have run all 3 Z versions on my SO3. The Z-Plus is a huge step up from the belt drive. It is more rigid and more accurate. The belt and the Z axis V wheels on the standard belt drive really limit you when cutting in aluminum. The only difference I saw between the Z-Plus and the HDZ was an improvement when boring holes. I ran an 800W water cooled spindle in the Z-Plus and it handled it just fine. If you do want to upgrade your machine to rails, the HDZ is a good match for that. If you are just going to stick with the stock V wheels, I think the Z-Plus is the better choice. It gets you 95% of what the HDZ gives you at a lower cost. Save the extra money you would have spent on the HDZ for a water cooled spindle upgrade in the future if you don’t already have one.

4 Likes

I keep seeing references to adding rails. Which thread is that on here?

1 Like

Beware the linear rail upgrade rabbit hole…

You might be better off just buying a Shapeoko Pro, unless what you really wanted to do was buy a CNC to help you build the next CNC which is where some of us ended up :wink:

3 Likes

There are a few, just search “linear rail upgrade” and you will see a bunch. Here is mine:

@LiamN is right though. It is quite the rabbit hole. It would have been cheaper for me to sell my SO3 and buy a Pro. The reason I did it is because I enjoy building that kind of thing myself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.