Zoom disabled when setting machining region?

I really hate to admit that I can’t figure this out, but every time that I try to set a machining region on a job it zooms the model to fit the window and seemingly disabled my ability to zoom in and out. Out of sheer luck I got MeshCAM to do what I wanted (or maybe I’m remembering it all wrong and I did something else by accident to make it work).

I can’t set a fair machining region if MeshCAM won’t let me zoom out a little. FWIW I’m using the Mac version on a Macbook Pro. When I got it to work properly I was using my desktop Mac Pro with an external mouse (as opposed to the built-in trackpad). Maybe that made the difference, but the commands should seriously be the same regardless of input device.

Also, I still can’t figure out how to really define supports. I feel like this is directly correlated to my question above. I’ll define a support (even when my machining region is set…albeit not the way I want but still outside the dimensions of the drawing) it doesn’t show up anywhere. If I exit out and then try to add another support it asks me if I want to clear existing supports…so I feel like they got added somewhere but they don’t show up anywhere on-screen.

I realize that MeshCAM is low-budget, but I would like to see a better user-guide, more how-to videos, etc. Maybe it’s out there, but I’ve been unable to find it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’m mostly looking for how to zoom out when setting the machinable region (and how the supports are added exactly…there must be a minimum spacing between the boundaries before they’ll show up?).

Thanks!

I’m a Mac MeshCAM user. I have no problem zooming on either my Mac Pro desktop or MacBook Pro. My dust head CAM was done with MeshCAM on Macs. Are you trying to duplicate my layouts? :slight_smile:

On a Mac Book Pro zooming is done via two fingers on the pad. Move toward and away from your and things zoom away… Basic Mac actions that work in most Mac programs… unless you’ve disabled the feature in your preferences. What version of MacOS X are you running?

That zooming is done differently is not a MeshCAM issue, it’s Apple’s choice of input device and how they are used. MeshCAM accepts events from the Mac runtime and reacts to them. The Mac runtime and input device are responsible for generating them.

Can we get together on the phone? I’ll be happy to help you with MeshCAM and the Mac.

I realize that MeshCAM is low-budget,

I use many CAM programs including one that cost tens of thousands of dollars (I also teach machining and CNC). MeshCAM isn’t that different for 3D machining jobs. How it works is different, but overall its not most CAM programs.

EVERY CAM program has quirks and takes some getting used to. MeshCAM is no different.

Also, I still can’t figure out how to really define supports.

Supports - they take a bit of getting used to. I’ll be happy to help you with them.

I suspect that we need to go over how to set the stock properly first… but let’s talk on the phone and straighten any problems. I PMed you with my phone and private email information.

I do see your issue with inclusion and exclusion regions.

mark

MeshCAM defaults to a full-rawstock top view which can’t be zoomed or panned, when setting machining/keepout regions and defining supports. If you need a more detailed region, you’d need to draw and import it as a DXF. In that case, the DXF origin needs to be coordinated with the default lower left origin that MeshCAM establishes when you bring in your geometry.

Randy

1 Like

Thanks for the offer Mark! I actually got this working after sleeping on it and feel embarrassed to say that I hadn’t added the .25" to the X and Y axis. This was the cause for both of my issues. I still would like a little better documentation from MeshCAM for new users.

I’m over IT for a medium sized auto parts manufacturer so I’ve been spending some time with our tool and die department as of late to understand the mechanics of milling. I’ve been there for 15 years and have always had an interest in how these things work but until small machines like the Nomad 883 came along, it was way out of reach for someone like me to delve into.

It is amazing what the guys at work can make out of a piece of aluminum or steel. The guys at work use SolidWorks and FeatureCAM (and Predator to send things out to the machine…or call the program from the machine). I’ve been learning OnShape since I’m a huge fan of decentralized software but I just downloaded Fusion 360 to give it a go as well. Looks like it has CAM built-in. Any experience with Fusion 360?

Thanks for the offer Mark!

You’ve got my info… anytime.

I actually got this working after sleeping on it and feel embarrassed to say that I hadn’t added the .25" to the X and Y axis. This was the cause for both of my issues.

I did hint that that was the most likely cause of your issues… :slight_smile:

I still would like a little better documentation from MeshCAM for new users.

No disagreement here. Every CAM system has its weirdnesses. MeshCAM isn’t that different than many a CAM system (doing a 3D job)… but it does have its way to it.

Believe it or not, if one starts with the upper left button and work right to left and then onto the next row, things proceed in a fairly logical order.

MeshCAM is pretty amazing when one takes a close look at it. It has its issues and limitations but, overall, I like it and use it.

I’m over IT for a medium sized auto parts manufacturer so I’ve been spending some time with our tool and die department as of late to understand the mechanics of milling. I’ve been there for 15 years and have always had an interest in how these things work but until small machines like the Nomad 883 came along, it was way out of reach for someone like me to delve into.

That alone is a great start! For many, conceptualizing machining isn’t that easy. You’ve seen it enough to know that things can be done… the rest if frustration and learning. :smiling_imp:

It is amazing what the guys at work can make out of a piece of aluminum or steel.

I teach machining and CNC and let me tell you, the look on the face of a student when their part materializes out of a chunk of stock is… magical.

The guys at work use SolidWorks and FeatureCAM (and Predator to send things out to the machine…or call the program from the machine).

Those are good choices. Big budget items that it’s hard to argue with.

I’ve been learning OnShape since I’m a huge fan of decentralized software but I just downloaded Fusion 360 to give it a go as well. Looks like it has CAM built-in. Any experience with Fusion 360?

Fusion 360 is the new guy. The time and energy invested in CAD and CAM systems is enormous if you’re going to become and stay efficient. I’ve been a BobCAD-CAM user for a long time - even own my copy - so I’m not about to jump to anything else until it has feature parity with what I already have. Fusion 360 doesn’t have 4 and 5 axis continuous machining yet. Not time for me to jump.

I also use Evolve for CAD and MeshCAM or SharpCAM for some jobs (jobs that require really dynamic surfaces). It’s what I have, know and am efficient with.

That said, I have looked and I can tell you that Fusion 360 is pretty darned good! Many here in the forums have switched to it, both for the CAD and the integrated CAM. I can recommend it highly, but be aware that you’re making an investment in time and energy. That cost is hard to beat!

mark