Created a "Quick Start" Guide for my class. Looking for some feedback

I used Photoshop to create this quick start guide for my class. I wanted to lay out step by step visually for my students how to get set up and run the Nomad. I also will most likely accompany this guide with a step by step video series.

I am looking for any feedback / tips / errors. I had fun, doing the guide. Definitely helps you learn the things better. Remember I teach kids so this guide should be as painless and as easy as possible. I think that rule of thumb should also apply for adults! Download the file, its too large to upload here.

See the guide: ORIGINAL 108MB VERSION here, updated one in post below: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4QZaorcYhl1NWE2ZG0wUnJLREE/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

First problem…how do I paste pictures of the first problem…not on your work, but its availability…
Here is what Google says on the two pages that make up its reply…since I haven’t yet posted a picture…or two.

1. “Whoops, There was a problem previewing this document”

and
2) "Google Drive can’t scan this file for viruses.

Nomad 883 Pro Quick Start Guide.pdf (102M) exceeds the maximum size that Google can scan. Would you still like to download this file?"

of course I will download it anyway…and get back to you.

Yeah i cant find anywhere to host it! It too big i guess.

Optimize your pictures for web use before converting to a PDF, it will save a good bit of space, 8 pages should be less than several hundred kbytes, much less than 108mb…

1 Like
  1. No obnoxiously inescapable, aggravating, overly repeated, painfully redundant requirement of safety goggles and safety procedures…I have a 12 year old and a 10 year old, they know if I catch them in the garage with the light on with out eye protection there will be pain-lots of pain-and not necessarily the verbal kind inflicted by Dad-and they still forget…

2. Picky-just because kids…you show a "spoil board in your key, and call it a spoiler board in your text…I would never hear the end of that from my monsters everything would be a spoiler alert…

3. You are all over this! I wish I could do as well!

1 Like

Ah yes, got to fix that. And yeah one of the class rules is about safety, Im gonna insert it into the text. Thanks!

One more, use screen captures as full page background, and use arrows and numbered steps within the background…a full size actual picture is worth a thousand words…take full advantage of each one so you don’t have to type them out!

Some corrections / notes:

threat mill

• thread mill

Rather than note a specific amount of stick out for an endmill, I’d suggest noting minimum insertion and the need to adhere to the manufacturer’s guidelines

collete

• collet

spoiler board

• x6 as noted by Yo man

meshcam

• MeshCAM

Most time you will use the upper left

• times

carbdide move

• Carbide Motion

Style, throughout — G-code, initial caps for proper nouns (Carbide Create), OK (or whatever matches the dialog box in question), USB

Locate the file that created in Meshcam

• that you created, MeshCAM

You will jog the z machine to 0,0,0 on your work stock

• Z
    through — capitalize any reference to an axis.

This is the idle screen will look like this

• either add which, or wordy, shorten to “This is the idle screen”

Zero positon

• position

and follows the prompts

• follow

If you can make a smaller version, it’d be great to have it at the Shapeoko wiki where there’s a page on the Nomad: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Nomad_883 — send me a PM with your e-mail address and I’ll make an account for you.

1 Like

Alright cool, ill make some corrections, was doing it in between my classes today haha.

Decreased size and and made corrections!

Nomad 883 Pro Quick Start Guide.pdf (1.8 MB)

2 Likes

Hey nice job Louis! I saw something similar to this for a Roland MDX 40a back in the day, so great to see it for a Nomad too. Can I suggest you change the link in your origional post to the new link as well. I just downloaded the full 108Mb version only to see the newer one of 1.8Mb in your last post.

I took the liberty of editing it and adding a link — good point!

1 Like

This is looking great. One note, on page 6, under “Preparing Your STL File,” you tell them to use the Feeds and Speeds chart to set their options. However, if you are using MeshCAM you can only change the RPMs by editing the actual tool description. You might want to make this clear, and show them how to do it.

Also, I respectfully disagree with using this line in your guide:

Insert the cuting tool inside the colet making sure to adhere to guidelines by the manufacturer on how to place the cuting tool and then tighten the colet.

Unless you are planning to actually have those guidelines available right next to the machine, it’s basically meaningless for students. Depending on their age, most of them will just ignore it, and the more conscientious will be stymied trying to work out which manufacturer, and what the guidelines are, and how to find them, etc. Better just tell them exactly what you want them to do, in my opinion.

If you do decide to keep it in, you should correct the spelling of “cutting” and “collet” which are both missing their double letters all throughout.

thanks for making and sharing such a great guide!

2 Likes