Need Help Troubleshooting Z-Axis Calibration Issue on my CNC Machine

Hi everyone,

I’ve been working with my CNC machine for a while now and recently ran into a puzzling issue with the Z-axis calibration.

No matter how many times I’ve attempted to calibrate it according to the instructions provided, I seem to be consistently getting inaccurate results. The Z-axis doesn’t seem to move to the correct position, which is causing issues with the precision of my cuts.

I’ve double-checked all the connections, ensured that the machine is properly leveled, and even tried adjusting the stepper motor settings, but I’m still facing the same problem.
I also check this : https://community.carbide3d.com/t/cnc-z-axis-issue/ruby on rails But I have not found any solution.

Thank you all in advance!

Regards
Mia Smith

It would help if you specified what machine you are using.

1 Like

Which machine do you have?

Which Z-axis?

If you install a probing pin (or tool if you don’t have a BitSetter), initialize, jog to the center of motion, and then grab the tip of the pin (or shaft of the tool) and try to shift things what happens? The machine should be rock solid and nothing should move — if anything does move, check on what allows the motion and address it.

Jog down so that the tip of the tool/pin is at the surface of the MDF, jog up 1" — how much does the machine move? If it doesn’t move 1" reconfigure the machine for the correct Z-axis.

If you still have difficulties, please create a simple test file suited to cutting in a piece of scrap:

and then upload that file here, let us know step-by-step how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine with the machine either at the origin or a specified offset from it and we will work through this with you.

Most machines have the Z-Plus. There is an optional HDZ. The Z-Plus and HDZ have different steps per MM. If you chose the wrong Z during configuration it could cause depth issues. It does not hurt to run configuration anytime you want.

1 Like