Official Carbide 3D Touch Probe in the Wild

It’s XYZ all at once or X/Y/Z independently - so all three axis.

Nice! I hope it will also work with my Sparkfun Edition controller board.

1 Like

Sweet!! The big question remains… When will it be available??

3 Likes

It should work with the Sparkfun board — all the connections are broken out on it as pins, so it should be easy, but someone will need to puzzle out or document what connects where. @Jorge ?

1 Like

Here is a quick view of how I have set it up on my S3

Apologies for the shaky camera

5 Likes

Probing test!

I love this thing

Here is how quick you can find datum! This is awesome.

After playing with it, I do believe there is a offset on the datum X/Y - this is half the bits diameter - if you are using a 1/4 bit there will be a 1/8 offset. Depending on the work you are using you are doing you can program in this off-set if it’s needed.

Also I thought it would be fitting as this was won in an accessory contest to make an accessory for it!

Plans for fusion 360 and Carbide Create shortly.

7 Likes

I’m curious why the interface doesn’t allow taking as input the tool size? What if I’m using non-Carbide3D tools?

Whilst I sway towards agreeing it’s not overly difficult to calculating the offset required.

I guess if they had every dimension bit under the sun they’d have a very large list.

1 Like

I needed one 2 months ago.

Let me get this straight, I will also need to upgrade the controller PCB (flash it) and use a newer version of CM?

Thanks!

I’m thinking that the list would be relatively short. There are metric and inch size end mills, and there are several standard sizes in both directions.
Maybe, there could be a way to add to this list? Maybe, copy and modify an existing end mill size?
Share these custom settings online somewhere?
And save them too, like in a library (folder) on ones computer/network.

Perhaps it will be a feature they add - I don’t know what plans they have. At present they only support 1/4, 1/8, 1/16.

Its easy enough to compensate using an offset.

Just let the user type in the size. They must have had a reason not to do it this way (doubt it’s technical).

3 Likes

Very logical, a great idea.

Makes me wonder how how you’d use it with a tapered ball end. I guess you could run XYZ with a calibrated blank the same diameter as the shaft of the end mill to get a proper XY than replace the blank with the tapered end mill and run Z. Adds a little extra effort to the process but not anything major.

So are these available to the public yet, or are they still in a beta test period?

3 Likes

I imagine very shortly.

@gixxergreko - unsure at the moment there are only ball and straight bit’s in carbide motion at present.

1 Like

A tapered ball end mill is usually a standard size at the depth of its radius (i.e. 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 4mm, etc.). So, in this case, one only needs to move a tapered mill that radius distance in the -Z direction to perform a touch off for the remaining X and Y. But if the script defaults go to far in the -Z direction, then it will definitely be an issue for tapered cutters.
Are ther non-ball end mills?

Ball and flat are the only options at present

1 Like

And only in sizes 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4.

1 Like

Hoping Carbide will add dimensional support for tools (vs. the existing fixed drop-down options). Additionally, dimensional support for touch plates would be a win.

3 Likes