What am I doing wrong with my cuts?

I don’t know if it’s a problem with my end mill, my machine setup, or just my luck. I don’t know what to do to fix these uneven edges. Does anyone have suggestions?

Here are my specs:

• 8 IPM Feed & Plunge
  • Makita dial 1.0
  • (tried a 30 IPM, dial 3.5, but same result)
  • Carbide3D 0.50" V-Bit Cutter - 90°
  • Shapeoko XL
  • Carbide Motion
  • Fusion 360
  • MDF wood (with veneer on top)
  • Secured with double sided tape (Intertape 591)

Does this match the preview in Carbide Create?

I suspect the problem is you’re trying to cut an unmodified path which his wider than the endmill which you are using can cut — inset the path to a suitable degree — see Carve letters depth and Could use some guidance on creating a carve

I’ve seen this before and it was an issue with the actual angle of the V bit versus what the cam thinks the angle is. I haven’t used carbide create but double check that the angle is set correctly, and that CC isn’t looking for 45 degrees (half the total angle) rather than 90 degrees

I’ve got to ask… you’re sure everything on the machine is tight? (no loose eccentrics, pulleys are ok, etc?)

4 Likes

That looks like possibly more than one issue. As @mikep said, check your Z-axis pulleys and belt.

1 Like

Yip, loose machine. The preview looks correct, I’d bet pulley slip on the stepper shafts, eccentrics not tight, or belts slop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.