2024 Computer Specs

All my surgeries & hubby’s surgery is done. Still recovering a bit from my 2nd one but I’m finally ready to get started, I just need a computer. I just finished setting it up…FINALLY… So happy to finally get started.

For 2024
Question #1: What computer specs are recommended for running 3D software for my 4x4ft Shapeoko CNC?
#2: Does it matter if I get a laptop or desktop computer?
My CNC is in a separate small room (with a door) in my house and my desk is on the other side of that wall only about 3-5 feet away. I can get a longer Ethernet Cord.
Otherwise, is a laptop is better? Distance won’t be an issue. But like I said, I’m just getting it all ready to start. I will not be in the CNC room while it’s running but I will be very close by.

I run carbide motion on a ten year old surface pro. You don’t need an expensive computer. Keep in mind dust. Avoid fan cooling as much as possible. If you run off your machine from outside the room you might want to use a pendant and an emergency stop.

Any computer which meets the system specifications on the download page will do:

Windows:

• Windows 10, or 11, 64-Bit (Intel or AMD)
  • 8GB RAM
  • Screen Display: 1280 x 1024

Some further considerations:

• USB cable length is 2M (6.6 ft.) or less — while folks have done better with an active repeater or powered hub involved, that’s not supported
  • machine type doesn’t matter — many folks get small tablets — whatever suits your budget and can be set up reasonably close to the machine (you’ll need to check the screen as you jog to set zero — you may want to consider a numeric keypad or other pendant)
  • screen scaling does matter, so if for example, running at 200% screen scaling, you will want a screen which has >2048 pixels vertically
  • you need to be in the room while the machine is running

https://my.carbide3d.com/faq/machine-operating-checklist/

1 Like

Will I be able to run 3D software on 8GB of Ram?
Also, sadly, computer has to be able to run Microsoft Office or similar and Photoshop/LR & Video software.
I’m looking to get one this weekend hopefully.

Yes, but more is (of course) better — that said, my current machine was only available w/ 8GB RAM (Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360) and I’m going to be very sad if I have to replace it anytime soon.

The other software shouldn’t interfere, and might be useful, though probably to get the most out of Photoshop for our machines you’d need to pair it w/ Adobe Illustrator.

1 Like

My son is pushing for me to get a desktop because it’s upgradable. He built his own desktop which I hear is better & “cheaper”. But I’m not sure. I don’t want to spend more than $1000 if that’s possible.
Also, I only know of Fusion & Carbide for software that has 3D

There are lots of 3D CAD options — one list:

and we of course sell:

What sort of work do you wish to do? How do you wish to approach it?

I will note that there are two separate tasks/programs:

• CAD/CAM — arguably a comfy desktop w/ large screen and keyboard and mouse is well-suited for this (one of my first-world problems is finding a CAD/CAM setup suited to my use of a tablet w/ a stylus while seated on the floor at the coffee table in my living room)
  • machine communication/control — inexpensive (old) laptops are quite popular for this, and one doesn’t mind so much when a tool or endmill is dropped on something which is already dinged up a bit

And to my mind, the best thing for the latter case is to simply install and set up an inexpensive computer, ideally one which is suited to the rigors of a shop environment, and leave it alone and just use it, until there’s a reason to update.

A desktop, with ports and fans and multiple connections and wires isn’t great for a shop — a tablet, ideally fanless (sealed) is much better.

For a bit more on this dichotomy see:

It would be good to understand what kinds of projects you actually want to make. “3D” encompasses two completely different styles of design and machining, one of which is more engineering focused (like Fusion and everything Will mentioned), and the other is more artistic (Carbide Create Pro, Vectric, etc). If you want to develop a robot or something, you’ll need a program like Fusion and that tends to have higher requirements than the artistic software.

1 Like

I am interested in 3D signs to start but at some point I will be making things like a small statue of someone’s pet or something. I’m sure I’ll be doing that is 2 parts & gluing you wood. I will use different materials but for now starting out, just wood

I get nervous buying computers sadly, I’m also in a smaller town. Not many places to get one, Walmart maybe.

My recommendation would be to start by seeing if someone has an old laptop which isn’t being used — use that to run Carbide Motion, at least at first.

You can use your current computer for Carbide Create (you’ll probably want a USB drive to move files between the two computers).

The 3D sign work you describe can be done in Carbide Create Pro quite handily, and joinery can be done in the base version.

Statues in the round will require a full-fledged 3D scuplting/modeling program. Perhaps Blender or Plasticity? What is your budget?

Could you provide a quick example of a project? Just a word description and some rough dimensions would be fine — we can walk through this with you, but also be sure to see:

https://my.carbide3d.com/#Projects

I’m looking online right now. Don’t all laptops & desktops use fans now? I’m leaning towards a desktop. The CNC is only 2ft from the doorway and my desk will be under 6 inches from the doorway on the other side. There’s no room to put a chair in there, maybe squeeze a stool.

I am pretty sure that there are fanless PCs, at least mini ones.

The Apple MacBook M1 Air is fanless.

Is seems like the workflow you’ll be using will be fine with a good CPU, and a merely okay GPU. Anything geared towards “office productivity” would be fine. If you were leaning towards Fusion, I might suggests something closer to a “gaming pc”.

And to clarify, this would be for running the design software. You can use this same computer to operate the Shapeoko, but running the Shapeoko is not taxing at all. We use ~$200 cheap tablet computers to run machines in our shop all the time, and keep our more expensive design computers upstairs.

If you do choose to locate the computer controlling the Shapeoko in an adjacent room, I would recommend getting a wireless keyboard so that you can jog the machine without being right in front of your computer. Otherwise you’re going to be stepping back and forth a lot.

And as long as you have a good vacuum and are diligent about using dust collection, there should be minimal risk to keeping a computer a couple feet away from the Shapeoko while it’s cutting.

1 Like

The problem with a Desktop is it is stuck on a desktop. Most people design their projects inside their home/office. Then they take their laptop to the Shapeoko to run it. So if you buy a Desktop it will likely have to set close to the Shapeoko. Now depending on where you live a hot garage is not the most creative of an environment. Plus getting a laptop it can go with you anywhere you go.

I have looked at Laptops at Walmart store and they have low end and middle of the road computers. Over the years I have fixed a lot of computers and staying with an Intel I5 or I7 with 16gb of ram would be a good all around computer. Take a look on Amazon or Walmart.com and simply buy it online and have it shipped to you. There are always service issues with computers but frankly they break down very seldom. If you buy it at a local store it is not likely they have onsite repair and they just mail it off to a repair center.

I have good luck with HP computers. I have fixed several neighbors Dell computers and I am not a fan of Dell. There are other brands but HP has been a good brand for me personally.

Just dont lock yourself into a non portable computer. As you are using a laptop you can find more and more uses like watching a movie in bed. Taking the laptop on vacation to download pictures. For me it has been years since I had a desktop and a laptop is equal to a desktop in performance and it is PORTABLE. I am 69 years old and have a 55" HDTV where i view my laptop in the house and almost any modern laptop had an HDMI output port so you put as big of a monitor on it you want.

I would suggest an Intel I5 or I7, 16gb of RAM min and at 500GB or better 1TB solid state hard drive. Make sure they some some USB A ports. Many modern laptops have USB C port but you need at least 1 USB A port to hook up to a Shapeoko. Personally I dont like touch screens but some people really like a touch screen on their computer. I just have a thing about finger prints all over my screen.

I bought this laptop for my Grand Daughter for Christmas and she has been very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJPHD3VH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

1 Like

I didn’t know Chromebook could run carbide create. Good to know for the future.

A Chromebook running Chrome OS cannot run Carbide Create — that would only be possible if a supported OS was installed/run on the device — not sure if that’s feasible or no.

My son helped pick out a laptop. He said this one checks all the boxes. I did buy it and it will be delivered on Thursday.
I’m y’all’s opinion, will this work out is it missing something?

Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop 165Hz 15.6" QHD,
AMD Ryzen 7 6800H 8-Core,
GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB,
64GB DDR5 RAM 2TB SSD,
4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard,
WiFi 6E, RJ45,
Windows 11+GM Mousepad

From the Amazon page:

Max Screen Resolution ‎2560x1440 Pixels

Whether things will fit will depend on screen scaling — 125% will be fine, 150% may be problematical (since 1440/1024 == 1.40625)

You should be fine on ports though:

3 X USB 3.2 Type A, 2 X USB Type C,

It’s so new that there aren’t easily found reviews and I wasn’t getting the company’s product page in search results.

You’ll have to let us know how it works out!

1 Like

That configuration will run very nicely for any software ( 2D or 3D ) that you will use.

1 Like