2D Adaptive Slots in Aluminum

Yes - two passes at .125" deep. If I would’ve pocketed it it would’ve been at least eight, probably nine passes.

1 Like

How is it different from pocketing? Aren’t the slots 4mm wide?

No - they’re .188" wide. Somebody else could explain this better but I can’t cut the full width of the slot with a .188" diameter tool because of rubbing and/or chip clearance. Either way I have to use a smaller tool. Adaptive “spirals” through the slot - see the toolpath below. I had to pick a tool diameter that was small enough to allow the spiral, and 4mm worked.

1 Like

Have you tried it (cutting the slot with a 0.188" (3/16")) tool?

I did months ago on a similar job - it didn’t work. the first few passes weren’t bad but as it got deeper it started packing with chips & chattering.

1 Like

Did you ever try it with two 0.125" deep passes?

With a 4 flute tool, that’s going to be…a gummy, tool packing, mess. - @The_real_janderson pointed out it’s a single flute - whoops!

He has a 4mm, single flute tool. I misread that at first too.

1 Like

Nice, that toolpath looks great. I too enjoy the consistent nature of adaptive toolpaths and was converted by @wmoy. The chip clearing is great and producing a method by which you can cut deeper and use more of the flutes you pay for.

@The_real_janderson
Do you think that cutting 0.188" wide by 0.125" deep slots with a 0.1575" tool using adaptive “spirals” rather than “standard” slotting with a 0.188" tool (at the same DOC and number of passes) really make a discernable difference?

This is how I slot aluminium too, I find using a profile tool path results in a lot more issues with chip evacuation and chattering, resulting in gumming up the endmill. Others experience may differ but I can take a much larger DOC doing an adaptive cut than a profile cut. The MRR is higher and tool wear lower too

5 Likes

What range of WOC/DOC ratios do you use?

That’s an awesome fixture!

For chips I like to have a good shine, you might want to try increasing the radial doc little by little.

As for helical plunge try playing with the degrees and make your helical ramp diameter 50% of your endmill diameter. Ramp at 0.001 chipload and play with realtime feed overrides to find your tool pressure sweet spots.

Ide throw a scrap part on there and use the workbook to run through min to max.

2 Likes

I have completely winged it in the past, and have no firm figures. I am in the process of installing an HDZ, so numbers will change again. I’m much better at recording figures now so will update when I’ve done some testing

Very very roughly I’d say on my stock machine at 0.03mm chip load, 16krpm with a 6mm 2 flute I would run

• 1mm optimal load, 4mm doc

• 2.5mm optimal load at 1mm DOC, and anywhere on that scale in between.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s pretty close to the 100% DOC and 20% WOC that NYCCNC recommended in their speeds and feeds spreadsheet that I adopted for the SFPF Workbook.

2 Likes

Like how Stuart mentioned, I end up with better chip evacuation and a more consistent cut. Adaptive takes a lot of the guess work out of it, plus, it works really well with my 3D adaptive templates in Fusion to make toolpathing a breeze.

7 Likes

Templates are the way to go! As soon as you’ve had success with one setup just save it and it makes each job that much simpler. Most jobs I’ve done in fusion I have ended up with a few templates, whether they’re timber or aluminium. Real time saver.

I rarely run only a profile pass, I prefer the adapaptive channel then finish with a full depth profile. I’m sure others can do it better but it works for me

4 Likes

So those that would do a cleanup pass - how much material would you leave for a full-depth profile pass?

I like around 0.005 on the wall then repeat the finishing pass.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.