5 Pro - Depth of Cut Cutting Too Deep

Hello!

I’m trying out some inlays with CC Pro’s Advanced V Carve feature as outlined in an earlier post. However I’m running into some issues with the a few different test pieces seeding flush together so there’s no gaps after milling the top portion flat & it appears to be with my machine not cutting the depths properly.

I followed the above post about setting the depth of the male & female pieces a .2" deep but my 5 Pro is cutting to the wrong depth on both pieces. The depth of the female piece ends up being .3" & the male piece being .26" as opposed to the .2" that I have set up in Carbide Create. I tried setting he Z zero right above where the test cuts will be cut on both pieces but no changes, the depth of cut is always deeper than what I have set.
I went ahead and measured some other pieces I’ve recently done to make sure I’m not crazy, but even in other pieces/files where I have the depth of cut set to .25" it endes up measuring deeper around .34" which I was also very surprised to see.
I haven’t noticed that it’s been cutting deeper than what I have set in CC since it hasn’t been an issue so far until trying something where everything has to be more precise. I’ve read in the past that the bit you use can draw the bit further into the wood by a couple hundredths of an inch but for the female piece being a whole .1" off than I have set is a bit more than I’d expect. (using a 1/8 square bit for the pocket & 30deg V Bit at .025" per pass)

When I was running my final test piece I payed extra attention to check the depth of cut set, zeroing above the cut, and monitoring Carbide Motion & everything should be fine. When Carbide Motion is running I can see where the final pass is running at Z -.2" which is what it should be but immediately after it measured ~.1" deeper.

I tried looking through similar topics from the past but didn’t see too much aside from the collet slipping but I secure it pretty solid. I was curious if there’s something physical that I can check on the 5 Pro itself to ensure that it cuts to the correct depth? Using the Bitsetter & Bit Zero from Carbide 3D so the tool length shouldn’t be the issue itself I’d think, but could be crazy :slight_smile:

Any insights to what might be throwing off the depth of cut would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Daniel S.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.