80mm spindle mount does not fit the easy tram plate

I was surprised to find that the holes in the 80mm spindle mount which I had purchased to accompany the HDZ v. 4.0 Z axis upgrade for my SO3 does not fit. The holes on the 80mm spindle mount are not even close to the holes required by the 65mm spindle mount.

Is no-one checking what gets sent to the customer?

Support notified by e-mail.

image shows a frustrating lack of care in items despatched to customers. The button bolts are fixed in the 65mm mount,

You do not need it. The easy tram plate is for the original SO3 mount because it bolts in from the back. The 80mm mount bolts from the front and thus can be adjusted without it.

2 Likes

Thank you. There is very little movement of the HD 80mm spindle mount once those 4 bolts are screwed to the HDZ. What adjustment method are you proposing?

The 80mm mount is precision machined and when bolted to an HDZ should be near enough to level/plumb that the adjustment afforded by the bolt hole tolerance should suffice.

1 Like

The Z axis shouldn’t be off enough to need a bunch of movement. In tramming 7 Shapeokos I haven’t had one that I couldn’t get trammed nicely with the standard mounting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok. Thank you. When purchasing the HDZ upgrade, I was under the impression that I was also purchasing the easy tram system. What do you understand by the term “should suffice”? In any engineering endeavour, I don’t usually hear “that may do” or “it is somewhere there abouts”.

From the Carbide 3D web page information on the Shapeoko HDZ for Shapeoko 3

This is the Heavy-Duty Z, or HDZ, a premium Heavy Duty Z/X axis for your Shapeoko 3. The HDZ is precision-milled and designed to replace your existing X/Z carriage. It is a significant upgrade that offers additional rigidity, EZ-Tram, and zero loss of Z clearance.

Further down the page the bullet points state:

• 150mm of Z-travel
  • 15mm machined aluminum back plate
  • EZ-Tram plate for quick router alignment
  • Suitable for heavy 2.2kw spindles - supported in our new 80mm mount
  • Includes inductive proximity switches and mounts for X, Y, and Z.
  • Fully supported by Carbide 3D and Carbide Motion

Nowhere does it state that the EZ-Tram system does not get used with an 80mm HD spindle mount. I was mislead into thinking that it was an integral part of the system that I was buying into. I noted that the issue was flagged in January 2021 by @nixman. The post mentions specifically that the descriptor should note that the EZ-Tram plate will not work with the HD spindle mounts.

Here we are three years hence and still no mention of the issue. I am in agreement with @nixman and feel the issue should have been noted for prospective buyers. He also mentioned the soft bolts and as I have just suffered with a cap head falling off the bolt, I am minded to ask, what material are the bolts fashioned from? Not every bolt needs to be very strong and the range of steel which can be machined for bolts is vast. A2 stainless, Marine Stainless, High Tensile Steel.

For now, I have rough trammed my 80mm HD mount and torqued the bolts to 5 N-m.

You’ll need to loop in an engineer for more than that.

I’m of the shade tree mechanic/school of hard knocks/boat-building “if it looks fair, it is fair” thought process.

Perhaps @Luke ?

This is a vague term that has no place in the lexicon of engineers and precision machinery.

An engineer, to make the advertising material fit with reality? Excuse me while I belly laugh. :rofl:

Sorry you had to go through that. I had to go back to the old version mount for the VFD with the collar insert, to keep the tram adjustment. The Old XXL 3, where never precisionly machined to be ridgid and square. I ended up bolting my XXL 3 to a surface and using iron below the system to make it more ridgid. The screws are terrible, I have a box of better screws just in case.

1 Like

You’ll need an engineer to answer your question about bolt material. :wink:

You’re talking like an engineer, but you trammed your machine with a level?
I think the term, “shouldn’t be off enough” is perfectly appropriate!

I’m belly laughing WITH you :smiley:

6 Likes

Dude…I take take things WAYYYYYY too seriously, and unmedicated ADHD makes me hyperfocus down intense rabbit trails. I’ve been a machine operator in aerospace and I currently work at a university machine shop in the medical and experimental fields. I’ve made research nuclear reactor and scanning election microscope parts to 0.001" on a Shapeoko HDM. I tram these machines with two tooling pins pressed in a 3D printed arm well enough that surfaces are really nice and well within the tolerances I’m given.

And my reply is “calm down man”. This is a benchtop CNC, not a multi-million dollar machining center. I’m sorry that after almost a couple decades in the trade, I didn’t use engineering terminology in a forum regarding (nicely made and precise for the use cases) benchtop CNCs. What GD&T terms would you like me to use so that you would take me seriously?

6 Likes

The 80mm mount does not fit on the EZ tram mount it bolts directly to the face plate of the Z. None of the HD mounts use the EZ Tram plate. Tramming can still carried our though shims for nod and the hole pattern allows for yaw.

You cannot tram with a spirit level.

8 Likes