Adding Project Notes into CC file

I don’t know if Carbide Create will get support for the concept of multi-file projects — for those, why not just put a projectname.txt file in the folder w/ the other files? (or whatever file extension matches your favourite note taking tool)

Hang on, new topic of discussion — projects beyond a single Carbide Create file:

1 Like

That might be a reasonable work-around…but the value in having CC support it extends to things beyond the obvious. With layers and embedded c2d files, we’re just starting to be able to do things like share common components between projects and integrate more tightly to CM. I can envision wanting to search across all my projects to see which use a particular shared component or SVG…or to see which projects produce specific components. I can also see us sharing projects, archiving projects, transmitting projects, etc. and having all of the artifacts managed together - as a logical unit. It’s very powerful.

Could I do it in other software? Sure…each of us can choose our favorite file management software and set up out own conventions and schemas — but then each of us has to invent it again and again…and nobody can share unless they stumble on the same conventions.

• Gary

How I take care of multiple Gcode/CC file is to create a folder to keep all files together. Notes in CC in my mind is only what is needed for the single file in CC at the time.

No sense in complicating this aspect.

After posting I see Will already mentioned the “folder” idea. Plain and simple, that’s how I like it.

The Folder idea is a winner!
How many revisions of an item do you make in CC? IF more than one, then keep the revisions NUMBERED/LETTERED and keep those in the Folder. For NOTES open a Worksheet as in the original post. You can make all kinds of notes in those, including the machine settings at the time - an d also a copy of the Master Gcode files.

If you do a lot of work you’ll be surprised over time how often you go back to at least review something you’ve done and all should be in that Project Folder! Plus, having the files there saves time - even if you need to modify the files and re-name the new version.

1 Like

The folder idea works for some. Some folks want to keep GCODE on a network share so that the CM in the shop has access to them. Some folks like to keep all their designs in a single folder. Other folks prefer to have image files in a separate place - particularly if they’re reused in multiple projects. Lately, I’ve been developing common embeddable c2d files for things I use in multiple projects - they stay in their own folder but are embedded within other projects. I guess the point is, people will have a different scheme depending on how they prefer to organize their files - the notion of a project can handle all of it, if it isn’t tied to the physical location of the files.

V7 will have a notes function. It requires a change to the file format so we can’t do it before V7.

12 Likes

The way that I keep files together is Zip them with winzip, z7, etc. That way you can have all your files relating to a project in one file, like: CC files, Gcode files, notes, picture, videos, etc.

1 Like

When might the projected release date be? Beta?

No idea. We won’t start CC7 until we get the next release of Carbide Motion done. (Hopefully, we can share that in the next week or two).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.