Advance vcarve issues

Is the clearance toolpath cutting to the correct final depth?

the area pocket toolpath is actually cutting to the correct depth in the hello world example - 5MM
The v-bit toolpath is cutting to 6MM

1 Like

What is your entire process? (You have bitsetter, so all one file, right?)
Here’s mine, as an example…

Connect
Initialize
Load 1/4" end mill (It measures the tool)
Set my workpiece zero.
- Jog to touch left edge
- Enter -0.125 for X
- Jog to front edge
- Enter -0.125 for Y
- Jog to touch top of part
- Zero Z
- Jog up to clearance
Load file
Run Job
Start
Hit enter to measure tool again
Job runs until 1/4" tool is finished
Load the Vee-Bit
Hit enter to measure tool
Job runs until Vee-Bit is finished
Machine retracts and moves back

My process is almost exactly the same- except I don’t overide the X and Y manually. All other steps are the same.

I just upgraded to latest CM and CC builds… will rerun hello world and see if that helps.

Hey Erik,
Can you upload your gcode for the hello world test you did?

HelloWorldVcarve.c2d.nc (253.2 KB)

This is the GCode from the latest version 7 of CC… I just overwrote the file with the latest version 10 minutes ago. I don’t have a prior version unfortunately - my OneDrive wasn’t synching in the last 24 hours.

I have the c2d file from the older version of CC uploaded above in this thread.

The G-Code cuts both tools at a max depth of 5.0. I used NC Corrector to view it. But you can open the file in a text editor & search for “Z” and just look at the numbers.
Something is happening after the first tool finishes. ??

If it’s skipping steps at the top of the retract(s) when changing the tool, that would cause the 2nd tool to cut lower. If you jog the 2nd tool, after the job finishes, to X0 Y0 Z0 is it just touching the corner of your workpiece?

1 Like

I was hoping to see something like an extra high retract or something, but this is looking more sense more like a mechanical issue. You retract to 5mm below your Z switch both before the pocket tool and the V, so the machine is most likely retracting correctly.
When you probe with the bitsetter, are you hitting the center of the button?

So when I probe it hits the edge of the bitzero button. This has been the case from day 1

It feels to me that somehow the tool isn’t getting zerod properly when doing the advanced vcarve.

I reran hello world with the latest versions of CC and CM and still am getting the different heights.

You should be able to adjust the Y-axis travel, and the X-axis positioning so as to get things centered.

First thing to verify is that belts are adequately taut — the defaults assume that, and if not tensioned well enough will fall short.

I was able to adjust the bitsetter location to have the tool touch the center - thanks. didn’t know about that.

I’m running through the tool changes to test the correct location - and i’m noticing that when the tool starts getting pressed against the bitsetter it seems to “hang” or “stall” a little bit, then suddenly move fast. The stepper motor sounds a bit funny - but I’m not sure if it’s a normal sound. I’ll try and capture a video to show this behaviour.

1 Like

I can’t upload a video off my phone.

It sounds like the stepper motor is rattling ?

You can also see the “stall” if you watch carefully.

Is there a way to share the video to get expert opinion?

Thanks.

Here’s a link to the .MOV file of the bitsetter action:

With the power to the machine turned on can you move the z axis up and down by hand?

1 Like

Yes - there is “play” in the z-axis - I don’t think that should be the case? it seems to be able to move up before hitting a hard stop - about a MM or 2 I think?

1 Like

There should be none. I’d suggest you drop an email to support about this, I’m sure they will help you out.

1 Like
  • take a look at the space in between the Z plate (the moving part) and the fixed part of the Z-plus: there have been a couple of cases where the nut connecting the moving plate to the leadscrew was semi-loose
  • inspect the Z axis motor coupler at the top of the Zplus too: any wiggle there ? it is tight against the stepper motor shaft on one side and the leadscrew on the other side ? are the tiny screws tight there on the coupler ?

but yes, definitely contact support.

2 Likes

I am working with support as we speak - I’ll notify them of this - maybe this is the root of the issue.

here’s a link to see the play if anybody is interested:

1 Like

based on that video my bet is on the loose leadscrew nut then

2 Likes