Air pump question

Can I use this hydroponic air pump to run a mister or fogger on the HDM. Or do I need a compressor and if compressor what size ?

Link
VIVOSUN 317-1750GPH Commercial Air Pump 20W-102W, 18L-110L/min, 6-12 Outlets Air Pumps for Aquarium and Hydroponic Systems https://a.co/d/d03m08c

Mister

OriGlam 【The Mist Coolant Lubrication Spray System for Metal Cutting Engraving Cooling Sprayer Machine for Air Pipe CNC Lathe Milling Drill https://a.co/d/9gCcDss

I tried a hydro pump… it was weeeeeeak.

3 Likes

Uggg. What size compressor will work ?

This
California Air Tools 8010 Steel Tank Air Compressor | Ultra Quiet, Oil-Free, 1.0 hp, 8 gal https://a.co/d/4FT4han

I use this little guy. It’s recovers fast, is quiet and won’t dim the light when it kicks on. Harbor Freight carries the same unit 60 bucks cheaper.

I’ve heard good things about the California Air Tools compressors. The motor looks beefy for the size. Looks like it’s sized for air brushing… so it may run a lot.

The California one I posted is 8 gal, you think that will run a lot ??

Blockquote

Cool, ya I want one that’s not too big too.

Oh, for some reason I saw 1 gallon. 8 will still run frequently if your blading hard. My 20 gallon kicks n more than I would like, but I blast fairly hard.

Damn, the 20 Gal runs a lot ?

Did you try a powerful one? I have one on my Thunder laser 90 watt and it works great

I tried a medium one…I guess. Cost a couple hundred. But my idea of getting plastic and aluminum chips cleared and the air blast on a laser may be different. :smiley:

1 Like

I wouldn’t say a lot…but more than I would like. I used to have an 80 gallon one in and enclosure outside my garage and I admit it spoiled me. Even though it’s been years. :smiley:

If you’re looking for complete chip evacuation, then you probably want a compressor like Ed or John suggested. I have one of these (Amazon.com) and it works fine for misting. I did need to modify my nozzle to get the lubricant to the tool. I reduced it down to 0.060".
I can adjust the venturi so the mist is barely visible. It keeps the tool cool, and doesn’t leave any puddles.

The compressor I mentioned above along with this is my setup for cooling and chip evacuation. The air pressure regulated to the mixing block is set at 30 psi but still see a bit of puddling even after playing with the needle valve adjustments. How did you modify your nozzle diameter to .060" @Tod1d. I’d like to try something like that.

On my HDM I finally fermented and upgraded to a Fogbuster. It is way better at mist adjustment and consistency. But at a price of course.

1 Like

These ‘low noise’ or ‘silent’ compressors all seem to be using the same modular compressor units just in different quantities with different tanks.

I have one of these

Which looks like the same compressor units (but 4 of them total in two connected pairs) installed on a 50 litre tank (~11 proper gallons).

For a machining job you’ve got a fairly constant air demand which goes on for way longer than any reasonably sized tank can supply with running the compressor so, smaller tank will mean that the compressors kick in more often, but for a shorter duration each time they kick in.

If you look at the kW / HP / CFM numbers these are all broadly similar (allowing for some marketing BS). Each of the compressor units appears to be about 2.6CFM and 1/2HP. That Hitachi has four in two pairs (sharing only two electric motors) for 11CFM and 2HP.

The California Air Tools unit has one pair of compressors sharing a motor, looks like they are being more honest about the CFM as the quote it at a pressure (3CFM at 40psi and 2.2CFM at 90psi) which would put the Hitachi closer to 6 or 4.4CFM real output at pressure (more marketing BS).

If we assume the above assumption about same Chinese compressor units being assembled and branded then the 2 compressor CAT unit with it’s 35L tank would kick in a compressor after 0.7 times the run time of the Hitachi with the 50L tank and that compressor would, on average, run for twice the duty cycle.

The Hitachi is surprisingly quiet, for a compressor, I wouldn’t want it in the house but in the garage it’s fine, much quieter than my dust extraction or a router. It’s also not a horrid screamy noise but a reasonably civilised rumble. I’d worry about noise from the spindle and cutter before this unit.

HTH

1 Like

Ok. Great feed back here for sure. Looks like I’ll need an 8gal at the least to avoid the compressor turning on and off.

I have this one now, it works fine for airbrush and minor stuff but not a large enough tank for HDM.

I had a piece of 1/4" brass rod laying about. I cut a 3/4" piece off, drilled out one end to fit my current nozzle, and the other end 0.040" (the smallest bit I had). I wasn’t getting enough airflow over the venturi to pull the coolant into the mix. I opened it up to 0.050 & got a few droplets. Opening it up to 0.060 gives me a great flow of coolant, and I can adjust it down to a very fine mist.

1 Like

Damn, looks like ill need a decent amount of power to run the setup.

Currently I have one 20 amp dedicated outlet to run the spindle and one dedicated 15 amp to run the rest of the equipment - is this enough ??

I have a 30 gal 2hp kobalt and it cycles for 30-40 seconds with a minute or so rest between cycles at 80 psi output 150 psi tank pressure feeding a single cool lube mql.

I also have a 100w pump that feeds a 3/8" ID line attached to a 1/2" lock line setup with a 3/16" tip reducer that puts out plenty of air for about 4-5 inches. Plenty for chip clearing. With the low pressure high volume pumps like these the key is to run a larger line and only choke it down at the very tip to produce the most velocity.

I have a 200w I plan to test after I port the front of the compressor to accommodate a larger 1/2" feed line. I want to also use a mini linear leadscrew slider to accurately dispense cutting fluid from a large syringe like those pain pumps at the hospital do with morphine. I’ll use a twist on blunt needle at the very tip of the air nozzle like an airbrush.

2 Likes