Am I doing this right? Final Plugin Problems. Controller? Wiring?

Just getting the Carbide 3D Shapeoko Pro 4 XXL setup and I must say the process has been much more enjoyable and efficient than my previous Shapeoko 3 XXL.

Anyways, day 2 and at the very end I went to plugin and do a hello world and nothing happened… Perhaps this is some problem with the power supply, wiring, or controller?

I though this was maybe because the new model was silent on start up but after some investigation and tinkering I am not sure what is wrong. The SO3 gave an audible “dunk” on power on and the motors became stiff. Not the case here.

First off the power supply lights up green. Though when I plug it in nothing happens on the controller. With or without any other motor/sensor cables attached. The power supply is definitely firmly attached and the rocker switch does nothing in any configuration. I did not feel dexterous enough with the multimeter to probe the tips of the 24v DC power supply but I thought maybe the switch is broken?

For the USB I ran Mac OS Prober but it detected no signal in any port. I of course downloaded the latest versions of Carbide Motion, restarted the computer, unplugged and replugged the cable, but to no avail.

Inside the enclosure I saw a status LED on the rear of the enclosure between the USB and Power Supply Ports but it never turned on. I of course tried all of this with and without the enclosure lid on in case there was a photo diode preventing it from turning on if the lid was off or something.

Inside there was also a small button which I pressed but this was after initial diagnoses had failed and the button did nothing. I thought maybe a rest button or something.

Everything arrived in great condition with tons of padding and no weirdness anywhere else so I don’t think it got hit in transit but who knows.

Anyways, this could also be a TOTAL NEWB mistake and maybe I forgot a step because it’s late but I tried my best for now and didn’t want to mess anything up trying to troubleshoot further before checking in with you all.

Have any ideas where I might be going wrong here?

Thanks!

Sitting in my chair I would say the Board is DOA.

Support will help with that.

Good Luck

1 Like

There is a light on the power supply that should be lit. If there are no lights on the controller I think you might have a bad connection or DOA board. As Zman said talk to support.

Remember when you get it running send the configuration before anything else. Trying to initialize without sending the config can be problematic.

Not likely but maybe unplug everything and see the controller lights up. Then if it does plug one thing at a time until the lights go out.

3 Likes

Thank you I will contact them next.

Did you turn it on from the front? I only ask because I don’t see it mentioned in your post.

3 Likes

ProfessorEcks for the win!

I actually just received an email from support asking the same question.

To be sure the fix was to press the power button on the front.

I must be honest for I completely overlooked this. I re-read the instruction manual and it does indeed specify this step.

My only feedback would be perhaps to make that section more BOLD and also to maybe put a sticker or something over the front button.

Further, an indicator LED for when power is applied, but not turned on, could be of help as well.

Other than that it’s a great machine and I look forward to cutting with it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.