Another CC reference to fix

Maybe I’m not doing this right? I first created a pocket with a flat bit. Then using the newly added Ball Mill tool, I am doing a contour cut with “NO OFFSET”. In my head this should show rounding, YES?

Yes, that would work to show rounding — if it doesn’t, post the file.

It has the same pricing structure that it did a year ago when I started using it. Carbide Create is free, Carbide Create Pro is a paid version with additional functionality.
Given that this is a reference to their software on their website, I don’t see an issue with how they have this described. I’ll let them determine if they want to change the wording though.

1 Like

Here you go.
PF Charlie Tray.c2d (68 KB)

You don’t think it only shows in PRO do you?

Something was wrong w/ your tool definition:

I fixed it by duping the #202 and changing the diameter and tool # — you’ll need to do something similar (and work up suitable feeds and speeds):

To confirm it’s not a previewing issue:

Lastly, I’d suggest adding offset geometry and cutting as a pocket down to tab height for the perimeter cutout.

I don’t quite follow what you are saying here.

Suitable feeds and speeds? What did you see needing changed? I use what C3D has for each bit, changing what was posted for #202, (which your duping the 202 and changing the diameter worked. I see the curving now. Thanks.)
What would be suitable for a 0.75 ball bit? I have no clue.

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket:

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

Can’t advise on feeds and speeds for tooling which Carbide 3D doesn’t sell, but see:

OK, so with the geometry thing you are just saying to make a pocket a little wider to allow the bit to be less taxed. Have I got this correct?

For speeds and feeds you give me HOMEWORK. :nerd_face: Math Homework at that. :face_vomiting:

Couldn’t just give me a simple formula, or the answer would have been super.

Correct.

As I noted, we don’t sell a 3/4" bowl tool — I am unwilling to speak to tooling which I have no experience running.

Cool! Fair enough. You did mention that. I however, as usual, didn’t read that far.

My apologies!

The previous policy was to encourage non-Carbide 3D router owners, which has changed. Try using V7 without a C3D controller, Carbide Create requires the purchase of a C3D product or a monthly payment. The article wasn’t C3D specific, and V7 can’t be used for free, as in producing usable gcode, unless you have a router with the appropriate controller. Totally free doesn’t tell the typical new user that they can no longer use CC on a non-C3D product and it’s drawing in novice users who are confused they can’t make the product work with their brand X router.

C3D needs to make their new policy more obvious, even “totally free for for ShapeOKO and Nomad users, subscription plan for others” would help those of us that do some volunteer support on other products. Not complaining about the policy change, C3D has every right to alter their policies, just how an abrupt change isn’t being being communicated very well. I was pretty vocal about recommending Carbide Create as the best free CAD/CAM software available to CNC beginners with another brand of router, and recommending ShapeOKOs when the inevitable “this is too limiting, what’s a better router to get” questions come up. Not making it clear that this is no longer an option is giving the newbies a bad taste. I installed Carbide Create and can’t get it to save gcode comes up pretty regularly, and even on the download page it’s not clear that you must pay a subscription fee or have a C3D router (without modifying the controller…) to use it. Better expressing this will prevent some of the ill will caused by the current situation.

All I wanted to do was point out a page that needed to be changed, since it was confusing. And I think @ehendrix posted in the wrong topic :slight_smile:

We changed the page to remove the “free” reference.

1 Like

Thanks, Rob
That 20 character thing is a pain for short replies :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Kirk:

I prefer complete sentences with punctuation. So 20 characters is a good thing.

An old guy who values writing skills.

Bill

3 Likes

But “Thanks, Rob” is a complete sentence with punctuation. Leaving off the trailing dot is common these days, it saves a whole byte of disk space and a byte of transfer. Maybe. At least it feels like a minor accomplishment and speeds up the internet by an astonishingly infinitesimal amount

An old guy who tries to keep up writing skills that were damaged after being an engineer and development programmer for too long

:slight_smile:

Kirk

A great fix for that is Literate Programming:

1 Like

I agree, comments are important. They can be overdone, had to work with a guy that wrote about a page of comments for every line of code (C iirc), unfortunately the two often didn’t agree and it was full of bugs.

For some reason I’ve been running across a lot of Donald Knuth references lately. The first three volumes of “The Art of Computer Programming” are still on my bookshelf, bought in the early 70s.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.