Any feed speed increase with the 5 Pro?

I have the 4 Pro, how much increase is there in feed rates from the 4 to the 5. Really like the increase table size of the 5. Given the same materials . cutters, spindle or router on both machines.

See:

and

as well as:

Greetings, so with my spindle I got with my 5Pro 2x4 last night I was doing a project that Carbide Motion 3d gave me an estimated time of 4 hours. While I was running my material with my 1/4" down bit, I increased the feed rate all the way it could go to see what it can do. My time went from just over 4 hours down to just under three hours. No issues, no tare-out not binding etc it was impressive. Now I am not going to run like that all the time, but I also feel your feed rate needs to be adjusted based on the type of bit you are using like I would not try this on an upcut bit. I would only do it on a down-cut bit. But that is my opinion and I feel this is a good subject to talk about.

Technically, the S4Pro is capable of feeding faster as the S5Pro is firmware limited to around 275IPM.

But the real metric is material removal rate. If you cut twice as deep, at the same feed rate, then you’re removing material twice as fast.

That said, with the 1.2kw spindle or less, they’re about the same. The spindle will stall before the motion system does on the S5Pro. Change to a more powerful spindle like a 2.2 kw and the 5 Pro will be able to cut deeper, thus finish a job faster.

1 Like

Should be 275 ipm on the 5

1 Like

Feeds and speeds the most frustrating thing ever on cnc. It’s kinda like riding a bicycle. Practice practice practice till you get it. It really comes down to your spindle and bit. I saw the video you are referencing too it’s a bad comparison as the spindle is different. After a while of using your machine you’ll get the hang of it. My go to speed on 1/4 inch bits is 30 80 I can always adjust it after. I killed the spindle bearings on my machine because I was too aggressive in about 18 months. I replaced it with a Makita will see how that goes. I’m not using it for production just hobby if I was using it for production I would get the HDM spindle.

You’re right, I fast fingered it. :smiley: Corrected.

To give you a some what even comparison.

On my s3 with hdz and 2.2kw spindle I roughed baltic birch at 1/4” doc 180 ipm. I believe it has the same motors and drives as your 4.

On my 5pro, same spec spindle I roughy at 275ipm at 1/2” doc and have a much much better finish.

I have a 1” diameter 2 flute 1/4” shank bit that I ram 1/8” doc on my s3 to hog out pockets at 200 ipm. I’m afraid of pushing it with the 5 any faster as I’m worried about breaking it. Need to get a 1/2” shank and push it.

1 Like