Any reviews on the McFly surface cutters

Can some give me some opinions on using McFly surface cutter? I know it a bit more expensive than other surfacing cutters but I do like the indexing carbide bit and I can see myself using a surface cutter a lot. Does it cut smooth and would a Pro 5 handle it with ease? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would you buy a backup of carbide inserts or would the ones supplied last for many cuts?

The McFly is a great cutter. Many other cutters out there are non indexable - the last thing you want on surfacing mill is to damage it and have to replace the whole tool (Iā€™ve personally done this) and it gets expensive. The cheap solid surfacing bits from China donā€™t last long at all.

The other great bit is you can drop 2 inserts depending on the material you are surfacing. Inserts can also be rotated when (if) worn out - Iā€™m still on my first McFly and first set of inserts. Iā€™ve done a bunch of hardwoods and chopping boards. Assuming the machine is setup for it you can move right onto a medium grit/fine right off the machine.

Absolutely no issues running it on a 5 Pro.

Winston did a video a while back which is worth a watch too.

5 Likes

To add to @Luke 's comment, I will note that if you are wiling to get an 8mm collet, that version is markedly more rigid and well-worth the effort.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong but I would need the 8mm version if I am running a Shapeoko Spindle right?
I have a lot of end pieces of lumber that really are not flat and I am so hoping that this cutter can be used to flatten them, it sounds like it will be a welcomed addition to my starting collection of end mills.

You can use either the 6.35mm or 8mm version on either a Standard Carbide Compact Router, ER-11 Carbide Compact Router, a VFD Spindle, or the HDM spindle ā€” itā€™s just a matter of sourcing an 8mm collet if you donā€™t have one already.

We donā€™t mention using the 8mm version on a Standard Carbide Compact Router because that requires purchasing an 8mm collet from a 3rd party, Elaire Corp.:

1 Like

I am confused in the VFD description it states the maximum size is 7mm are you saying if I purchase an 8mm collect the VFD can handle the increased shank diameter? Does the Mikita and VFD use the same collects ER-11 if so, it would be a no brainer to use a beefier shank if the VFD can handle it.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused here as well. I have the VFD spindle and it is an ER11. But the specs say
ER Collet Length Diameter Clamping Range
ER-11 18 mm (0.71") 11.5 mm (0.45") 0.5ā€”7 mm (0.020ā€”0.276")

there are ER11 8mm collets

thereā€™s not a lot of collet at that size obviously :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Generally speaking ER11 collects run up to 7mm, however 8mm versions are available from some vendors. I will look into thisā€¦

3 Likes

Hereā€™s one from Maritool
Hereā€™s one from Haas

3 Likes

I bought the 8mm (5/16") collet from Maritool and it has worked very well ā€” use it for the McFly, and some larger tooling where appropriate.

I would think the most important information to have is what can the Spindle opening handle, since I have a cutter in the machine presently I will have to wait to measure the actual bore of the spindle.

what clamp was used in the video? never saw that before!

Those are our Tiger Claw clamps:

Another question about the McFly cutter. Will the Bitsetter function with it. It is so much larger than the button on the Bitsetter.

I was able to use the Bitsetter on my S4 but had to trim the MDF a bit in that area to make room for the surfacing bit. I also offset the touch location so the cutter blade always touched the sensor pad.

Another thing I learned when using a surfacing bit was that the head needed to be properly aligned. I used the SST-04 twin dial caliper system that worked a lot better than my previous efforts. It made a huge difference to the quality of the surface.

John

2 Likes

TY!!! Really helpful!

I have used the McFly as well as the standard, one piece one like Amana sells. Both work, but if you plan on doing any hardwood, the McFly is better. I still use the standard one I have for MDF, but just so I wear it out since I already had it. I donā€™t plan on buying another standard style.

I did slightly ā€œtuneā€ my McFly to make sure the outside carbide inserts sit below the inside ones. When I first got it, one of the inside ones (on the bottom) sat below the sides, so I got some lines. But 5 minutes later that was fixed.

The McFly has inserts in the middle, so you should be able to use it with the BitSetterā€¦but I havenā€™t tried it.

The McFly goes thru hardwood like itā€™s not even there.

The McFlyā€™s inserts being replaceable means it likely costs less in the long run. They have 4 cutting surfaces, so can last 4x as long before buying another set.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.