Auto Tool Changer

I regularly run jobs on my S3 XL that need 4 tools just a few minutes apart and it’s a major pain to have to stay by the machine waiting to change tools when I could be off doing other things around the shop.

I’ve seen a couple of projects on YouTube for automatic tool changers but would prefer an officially support solution where possible, especially given that it’s going to need some post processor changes.

Is Carbide3D thinking of adding this capability as an add-on? I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for it, given it would save me having to spend money on a whole new machine from a competitor.

Anyone else interested?

What is your budget on this?

Would it be feasible to just re-work the files to need fewer tools/less often?

It’s a big investment — do you have a compressor and/or vacuum pump? Is running one constantly while the machine is in use an option?

I went for:

c.f.,

but the only way I could justify it was as an extravagant birthday present on the grounds that when doing test cuts, many days it felt like I was doing more wrenching than the machine was cutting.

Current hardware cannot support this, an ATC requires more I/O to control releasing and loading tools, and optionally sense if a tool has been successfully ejected. And just looking at what’s on the market right now, an ATC system would probably cost double what a S3 costs, and you’ll have to also buy an air compressor.

Your best bet is to batch your jobs and cut multiple at a time, so you get more items done per tool change.

3 Likes

@WillAdams Budget… well a well know German company (trying not to post competitors here) have a system that, with tool changer is about €6K. So, for €6K I may as well buy theirs. If it were less to update the Shapeoko then I’d be saving money.

@wmoy - Thanks - I thought that may be the case, so would need a board update as well. I guess there aren’t enough people asking for it. In terms of changing the batches, they are as optimised as I can get them for the types of orders I’m getting. When I get bigger runs then I take the time to do a new layout and/or combine where possible to reduce changes (same material and thickness), but thanks for the suggestion.

It would indeed be handy to have a machine with tool changing capability. They are out there of course.
But at some point you have to recognize the tool you have and work within its parameters. Using the software (tool paths) to minimize tool changes, adjust the artwork to accommodate the bits you have, and making multiple items on one setup versus a single piece are three ways that come to mind.
You invite trouble when attempting to make something do what it was never designed to do. hmmm…that works for people as well as machines.

1 Like

I think with 3+ years and hundreds of hours I have a good idea about the machine, the software and the way to optimise things. It’s just awkward to have a tool change every few minutes for jobs that only take 20 - 30 mins, so you can’t go to something else and come back when it’s done, you pretty much have to be there and watch it. There appears no better way to optimise the tools, they do everything on all pieces with the same tool before changing to the next one.

Choosing different tools doesn’t always work and/or make you more productive, especially for VCarve stuff. Sure, I could use a 3mm bit instead of starting with 6mm then down to 3mm for clearing, or a 20 deg bit for everything instead of a 60 deg bit for course and 20 deg for fine detail, but it takes a lot longer to do the job and I’d still have to be around to change the bits.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I guess we’ll have to hope that a new S PRO II or S PRO III will come out with ATC as an option and then I can upgrade :slight_smile:

Your original post indicates how capable you are in the shop. No doubts there. Still, at some point or another, we’ve all used a screwdriver as a hammer with limited success.

I knew I had seen a video for a Shapeoko ATC, Auto Tool Changer on YouTube.
Here is the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBdr1K9C0o&t=13s

Enjoy.

1 Like

@ehendrix Thanks - This is one I’ve seen too, and was hoping it may have made the engineers @ Carbide3D think maybe they could do an official version.

Oh well…

Maybe they can make a deal with this company and not have to reinvent the wheel?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.