Bit confused about what i need and from where to give SO3 XXL some TLC

Hi Team!!

So i Really need to give my SO3 XXL some love, and i have allot of things i must achieve this year Metals being one of them. But my machine is at least three + years old and other than a good toothbrush tickle she has not had much TLC (she likes it that way) But it is time that i tell her she is special!

I have and original Beaver HDZ (blue baby, yeah that’s right kids i got into it before they became cool lol)

But i am confused now as to what i need i would love to upgrade the V-wheels and belts but do not know what is compatible with what, can i use eccentric nuts etc.

So i know this is more suited to a support call (and happy to do so) but i though there must be other people like me that would benefit from the response.

Is it as simple as purchasing the maintenance Kit from C3D Main site ?

Or do i need different bits etc.

Could you also tell me what grease i should give the Hiwin linear block?

Thunder - Thunder - Thunder Carbide 3D HOOOOOOO i need help to spend my monies :slight_smile: (Thundercats Ref for those born after 1990’s lol)

Snarf Snarf

Thanks as always Team

Jon

1 Like

With an XXL (which has 9mm belts already), and an upgraded Z-axis, the only mechanical upgrade from Carbide Create would be the HD eccentric nuts:

(which are included in current Maintenance Kits if you need spares)

Some folks have found the Gates-branded GT2 belts worth paying extra for — check at BB Man, SDP/SI, Texas Belting, &c. (possibly also Filastruder).

For lubrication see:

and

1 Like

What’s your budget? How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

interesting question i would love to say SO4 lol - but around £100 - 300 GBP

As always a big thanks for the quick response and details - @WillAdams you are the C3D version of Star Trek Enterprise’s Data lol is there nothing you don’t know or can’t instantly link me to someone or thing that can!

Jon

I’ve had pretty good service out of this kevlar cored 9mm belting before I got a bit silly and started ordering linear rails

https://reprapworld.co.uk/products/mechanical/driving_and_transmission/timing_belts/gt2x9_mm_steel_reinforced_timing_belt_5_meter/

I found this to be a good compromise with much of the tension modulus of steel core but without the wearout and snap being wrapped round small pulleys.

For the metal working I’ve also found that the proper Scotch blue tape (as recommended in the glue and blue tape thread) really is worth buying over other masking tapes for workholding with superglue & activator, so there’s another £6 of your budget…

There’s good single flute bits for Aluminium available in the UK, if you’re interested I can link to the ones I’ve tried out.

3 Likes

Jon, Short of buying a shapeoko pro :smile: here’s what I’d recommend in addition to C3D’s maintenance kit.

STEPPER COVERS FOR SHAPEOKO

EXTRUSIONS BED UPGRADE KIT FOR SHAPEOKO 3

PROXIMITY SWITCH KIT FOR SHAPEOKO 3 W/HDZ

Do you have a water-cooled spindle to go with your original Beaver HDZ? Here’s a great guide to upgrading you shapeoko.

I forget where I found this, but attached PDF is an excellent overview of the various upgrades for the Shapeoko 3.
Shapeoko CNC A to Z_compressed.pdf (948.1 KB)

4 Likes

The Beaver Blue Guild/League/Society :wink:

2 Likes

We do feel special and need to tell the world about it, don’t we ? (rule #1 of BeaverBlueHDZ club: always talk about the BeaverBlueHDZ club :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.