Bit Dancing unexpectedly

Ok this weeks nightmare brought to you by African Mahogany and a 1/4 upcut bit.

The profile path was going fine until it took an unexpected turn.

Settings: depth of pass 0.15, Rate 80 inch/min, plunge 40 inches/min

10 passes. The collet was clean and the bit seated firmly.

I have photos but can’t load them. The bit basically does a 90 degree angle when supposed to be cutting out a circle and then cuts a helix instead of the circle.

Were you cutting a slot just as narrow as the endmill?

Slotting is the most difficult cut to make and should be avoided where possible.

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket (Making vacuum hose adapters and/or Adding geometry to cut as a pocket with a finishing pass ) and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

Post the file?

That is a really deep cut.

Anthony

1 Like

Mahogany is hard so as Anthony suggested 0.15 is pretty deep.

1 Like

I tied 0.075 and it did the same thing.

Suggested depth? If I go any lower it will be 30 passes to cut 1 inch of stock, and that seems excessive.

Will, it was a pocket cut, with a finishing pass of 0.05

If it’s a pro, and the shift only happened in the x direction, check the linear rail lubrication guide

Lubrication guide: https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/linear-guide-maintenance/Linear_Rail_and_Guide_Maintenance_02-17-2021_v1.0.pdf
Also if you haven’t (I haven’t checked), please write into support as well and include the pictures.

1 Like

Thank you very much ! I will do that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.