Bit/Wood Recommendations

Hi everyone, I am trying to cut out a wooden sign and I find that the letters always break–I feel like it’s maybe the wood I am using or maybe the wrong bit? Any recommendations for best wood type & bit size for a wooden sign? Please see attached for picture of file & project. I am currently using 1/2 Birch plywood and Nomad bit #201

First, what sort of plywood are you using?

If you can source it at a reasonable cost, and aren’t already using it, try Baltic Birch, or some similar plywood guaranteed to be void free (Apple Ply is one brandname which some folks have had good experience with)

Second, are you cutting slots just as narrow as the tool?

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

1 Like

Did you use tabs on your design to hold the part steady?

Or

Depth of cut might have been aggressive causing pressure on the part in those areas

2 Likes

Plywood is layers of wood that are laid down at 90 degree angles to each other. They are glued together and sometimes the glue is not evenly spread. Plus a lot of plywood has voids below the surface in the layers. Maybe using poplar or another hardwood would work better.

Unfortunately fine detail even on hardwood might break off from the stress of the milling operation. I use very little plywood in carving projects because of the above problems with plywood.

Will Adams always recommends that if possible to not do a contour cut the width of the cutter. When possible make the contour around the object wider so the bit makes two passes at each layer. When cutting the width of your bit there is a lot of stress put on the wood and it can snap off. When the bit makes curves it can be pulled slightly off course by the cutting action. Plywood is even more susceptible to breaking due to the cross lamination.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.