BitRunner V2 is Available

Anyone yell at Winston to make a video showcasing how to use it? If I missed it somewhere, anyone have a link?

It’s not a video, but if you scroll through the PDF quickly it might appear to have motion :slight_smile:

It seems really simple.

1 Like

My board is a 2.4d, what is the best setup you suggest, only the Bitrunner V2 or with the new PCB?

I order the bitRunner v2 alone to make sure I get it :slight_smile:

If you have a 2.4d (or any board which doesn’t have a BitRunner connector) you will need to replace the controller and enclosure w/ the “CM Board with Enclosure” for $149 which is linked to from the BitRunner product page.

1 Like

Thank you William for the quick reply. Order the PCB, hopefully they will be both in the same package. I opt for the non enclosure one because I have everything in an enclosure already.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Ordered! Getting close to having my garage/shop space finished. Table should go pretty quick after that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, this works on 220V — you’ll need to source suitable plug adapters, and at this time the importer will need to take care of any issues as regards local regulations.

By “importer” do you mean the individual buying it?

Here’s an extract from the UK government’s website:

CE marking does not mean that a product was made in the EEA, but states that the product is assessed before being placed on the market. It means the product satisfies the legislative requirements to be sold there. It means that the manufacturer has checked that the product complies with all relevant essential requirements, for example health and safety requirements.

If you are a manufacturer it is your responsibility to:

• carry out the conformity assessment
  • set up the technical file
  • issue the EC Declaration of Conformity (DoC)
  • place CE marking on a product

If you are a distributor you must check the presence of both the CE marking and the necessary supporting documentation.

If you are importing a product that is from a third country you have to check that the manufacturer outside the EU has undertaken the necessary steps. You must check that the documentation is available.

Just saying…

1 Like

CE compliance is the remit of the EU entity ‘first placing the goods on the market inside the EU’, not the manufacturer, although the two are obviously inter-related. As C3D is not a EU jurisdiction entity, it cannot be the EU entity in question. I don’t believe a private individual, a consumer is considered an EU entity in this regard - so ‘Caveat Emptor’ seems to apply.
Internet sales makes this difficult to resolve in instances such as this. If, however, you buy from RobotShop or the like, a EU distributor of C3D machines, then they are a legal EU entity and the responsibility for CE compliance rests entirely with them, and in turn they should seek suitable CE documentation and assurances from the manufacturer before placing the goods on the market.

1 Like

The Shapeoko power supply and the Nomad machine have FCC and CE conformity, according to Are your Machines Certified? - Carbide 3D

Perhaps in time this brand new BitRunner will have such documentation and the like.

1 Like

Actually, I think the onus is on a manufacturer who intends his products to be sold in the UK (EU) should ensure it’s compliant in that locations health and safety rules.

1 Like

If that manufacturer is a legal EU entity, yes. If they are not, then what I wrote applies.

1 Like

If those EU entities import products for sale in the UK, I tend to agree, but these items are available to the UK and EU directly from their own website, so they must comply.

1 Like

Dang, you beat me to it!

2 Likes

@NewToThis The EU law only applies, and only has jurisdiction to EU citizens or entities. Trading Standards bodies might encourage Customs checks to reject non-compliant goods arriving at port, but they normally require a complaint or similar intelligence before acting. The placing of CE marks on products without the appropriate evidence/technical file, not uncommonly seen from Asia, is commonplace but unless or until it placed on the EU market is not breaking EU law. The law can then only pursue an EU citizen or company for remedy, the ‘first person placing’ rule.
Why is it arranged thus? By prosecuting EU citizens or businesses the requirement becomes upheld, even though the original manufacturer is out of jurisdiction - people won’t buy from unreputable manufacturers for fear of prosecution.
Does it work thus in reality? No. Trading standards try to enforce this, but it requires a complaint or other intelligence (such as an accident/fire investigation) to trigger their involvement.
Walking the maze of these standards, laws and realities is part of what I do in my day job.

1 Like

This is an interesting philosophical discussion, but likely unfair towards C3D to be using their forum to do so - it implies relevance to/against C3D. Am happy to take any specific question over compliance and have a qualified legal opinion penned from my compliance team.

1 Like

Hi @Gerry,

The stepper motors and power supply for the SO3 are CE compliant and marked as such.

However, I’ve been informed the BitRunner v1 is not CE certified. I’ve yet to determine if the CM control board, BitZero and/or BitSetter are.

1 Like

It’s probably best not to buy one then if it’s of concern.

3 Likes

A good point, and that wasn’t my intention, but we were talking about the BitRunner v2 and the questions this raised.

Any manufacturer should be aware of the requirements within their market area, and the guidance from NIST is very clear.

1 Like

A psuedo-legal opinion:

Buying from a US Company for personal use. Buying from a US Company for business use (but not re-sale):

"It sounds as if the people buying from the US company are responsible for placing on the market. So they are the Importer and are responsible for ensuring it complies with CE. If the goods are for commercial use I would either request evidence of compliance or have it tested myself.

If used in the course of their business activities, if they have not ensured the goods comply and this leads to a hazard or injury, the individual or company that imported the goods will be held accountable by the courts. Not the US based manufacturer or re-seller. (H&S Act issues)

If it were me, and we were buying goods from a non EU/UK company for use in our business, I would be ensuring it complied with CE, either by requesting evidence from the manufacturer or by testing it ourselves, as we would be responsible for it. However when buying car parts and accessories etc for my own private use, i make up my own mind."

1 Like