Bitsetter and large diameter bits issue

I’m new to Shapeoko so forgive me if I’m overlooking and easy fix. This issue came up when I was going to surface a new spoilboard with a Freud 1.25" bit. The bottom of the bit is not flat and has concave “vee” shape. The cutterheads are only on the outside of the bit. When I run the Gcode to resurface the spoilboard the SO3 goes through its routine with the Bitsetter, however since the bottom of the bit is concave the outside diameter of the bit touches the body of the Bitsetter rather than pushing down on the button. So, my question is can I temporarily bypass the Bitsetter option somewhere in CC/CM and manually set Z height manually or with touch probe? Or, alternatively, is there somewhere I can set an appropriate offset based on a particular bit’s radius so that when Bitsetter does its routine, it would offset the X/Y coordinates appropriately so the circumference of the router bit makes contact with the Bitsetter button? Thank you for any help you can provide

I imagine you could check the Bitsetter check box in the Shapeoko setup so it thinks you don’t have one and continue as normal until you want to use it again.

I find that surfacing the spoilboard is a difficult operation with the bitsetter attached… namely because I like to rotate the facing operation so that the cutter head travels along the Y-axis (not X), it’s more stable then the cradle traveling along the X axis. As a consequence Y- ramping before each pass means that it will most surely hit the bit setter in the stock position.

Even if I wasn’t flipping the facing operation I’d still be a little scared that it would run into the bitsetter. My recommendation is to uninstall the bit setter for in carbide motion for the spoilboard facing operation.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, but this issue isn’t limited to spoilboard resurfacing. If I was using this router bit for roughing out a large area on a project, I would still have the same problem using the Bitsetter for tool length probing.

Make an aluminum or plastic disc slightly larger than the largest bit you want to use.

Precisely measure the thickness of that disc (I’d use 1/8" / 3mm -ish thick material if I were doing it.)

Put that on the bitsetter button and zero bit.

Add that disc thickness to the Z-height.

Carry on.

Example:

Disc 1.50" diameter, [0.118in / 3.00mm] thick.

Put in bit and put disc on bitsetter button.

Zero using bitsetter.

Go to CM and manually add the thickness of the disc to the Z position.

1 Like

you likely don’t even need to do the position thing…

if you always have the disk there… it’s there on both measurements

2 Likes

Because the disk, I assume would be pressure fit, maybe that would remove some of the precision.

for the surfacing, 5 thousandths matters not. you want to remove the LEAST material when you do this job. Disc sounds like Great idea.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.