Bitsetter disc flies out and sticks to tool

bought it with machine. just installed it today. very easy. but the metal disc flies out and sticks to the tool when it gets close? What the heck?

2 Likes

I actually quite like the irony of the new design.

If it was a bit of brass or steel, gravity would hold it there and you could remove it when it got dented, which I think is the point of the magnet.

Because it’s a magnet, and it’s approached by hovering metal objects by design. Well, it makes me smile. A good idea on the table that is obviously mad in reality.

Anyhow, delightful glee aside: It’s worth noting that the BitSetter is a relative measurement device, rather than an absolute measurement device. As such, it doesn’t really know its own dimensions or where it is. So it is safe to change its height by sticking the magnet to the moving mechanism inside or milling a nice bit of aluminium or steel and putting that in place of the magnet.

1 Like

I got a new version of the BitSetter with the magnet. The first time I cleaned the machine the magnet flew off never to be seen again. I bought some magnets on Amazon and although slightly smaller in diameter they are working just fine. So far I have only needed one of the batch. But I have a lot of spares.

2 Likes

On a more serious note… if you have a bitrunner or a spindle, and the magnet attaches unnoticed during the probe routine, it could be dangerous to be near when the spindle automatically starts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.