BitSetter "hat"

My surfacing bit misses the button included with the BitSetter. I could not get the screws loose to disassembly and look at a complete button replacement, so I milled one that is a tight press fit over the existing button and catches my surfacing bit.

The clear acrylic that helps see the LED protrudes, hence the 2 dimples. However, I’ve noticed that you can just pull that acrylic piece out, which I haven’t done yet since I know I’ll lose it, but as this covers the LED, perhaps I should just do it.

In the end, I’m trying to remember if I even did the 2 setups, one of which was just to face off one side. Most of the work done with a 1/4" 2 flute, with the smaller holes with an 1/8" 2 flute. Finished the edges with a chamfer bit. Longest op was the contour at 1400mm/min, feed per tooth 0.04mm (1.5thou)

I did get caught doing the smaller holes with the feedrate :slight_smile: ( YOUR FEEDRATE IS WRONG! – Haas Automation Tip of the Day - YouTube ) So those two are at 600mm/min.

7 Likes

Erm, would this give a spurious - and therefore inaccurate - setting for the tool length in CM?

You will probably need to make an appropriate adjustment in the settings for this to work, unless it’s a permanent ‘installation’?

No it won’t so long as all measurements for all bits are done with this added piece. The bit setter take “relative” readings rather than exact readings. If only doing one bit it won’t matter at all. Just need to be sure to use the new cap for all tools when running multi tool cuts.

1 Like

Correct, you still have to Zero out the the tool with the Z Probe. All then is copesetic.

2 Likes

As mentioned, yeah it’s permanent so no issues :slight_smile:

1 Like