BLDC Spindle For Nomad?

So in my search for a proper BLDC spindle for my Shapeoko I found this guy:

Might make a good upgrade for a Nomad. The 600W uses ER20 collets but is limited to 3k RPM. The 104W takes ER11 collets and can go up to 10k RPM. It also seems to be a much smaller form factor than the total Nomad spindle. Figured I would share for the Nomaders out there.

What I would really like to find for the Shapeoko is a 50k RPM spindle like they have on the newest Pocket NC but BLDC (it might actually be BLDC but I cannot confirm).

3 Likes

Did you and @Vince.Fab give up on the Modwalt and Modkita?

Nope. Im still running the Modwalt. Just think there is potential for a better spindle than a trim router. Preferably one that does not require modding.

Part of me wants to actually start manufacturing one. I just don’t know where to begin.

3 Likes

I still think that a 800w 65mm spindle is a good bet. Heck, the power of the 1.5kw is really nice. And 24krpm is perfect for the little mill.

Also you don’t want a 50krpm spindle, the NSK in the V2-50 has a required load range it needs to run in to last… and it’s like $3k. A Shapeoko can push a 60krpm spindle no problem but that kind of rpm won’t work well for the Nomad’s limited feed speeds.

@gmack I didn’t give up, just haven’t run my own machines in a minute, got a room full of Tormachs now too.

3 Likes

Lucky you. lol.

I don’t have a Nomad. Just the Shapeoko, but yeah bearings do seem to be the limiting factor. Like I said though I just would like something that does not require modding so others dont have to play Mad Scientist in order to see the benefits of BLDC and can get the nice feed back from the controllers.

2 Likes

If their batteries can be used, no mods are really necessary to see potential benefits. Sound can indicate when speed can’t be maintained due to limited torque. The motors and batteries should be pretty efficient, so cutting power can be estimated from battery size and discharge time.

I am talking like the pretty graphs that @Vince.Fab has been generating.

2 Likes

Not only are those graphs pretty, they can be quite useful. DC motors are unique in that torque is proportional to motor current. Motor speed can also be monitored, displayed, and logged. Cutting power and forces are proportional to the product of speed and torque. So, real time display is potentially useful for human and/or machine operators to adjust feed rates as required to achieve and maintain good performance. If sufficient motor and cutting parameter data is recorded and can be correlated, they could be very useful in developing much improved speeds and feeds guidance as well as enable the vetting and development of more accurate predictive calculators like @spargeltarzan’s awesome Millalyzer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.