Block printing t shirts

I tried out some block printing on t shirts. I milled the blocks out of PVC sheet available at home depot. I just grabbed images, reversed them in easel and it carve .09 deep.

I used speedball block printing ink which sets overnight. They went through the wash just fine.

26 Likes

Sweet! So you basically use those PVC carved boards like stamps?

1 Like

Yes, roll the ink on with a brayer and press onto the shirt. Getting the right amount of ink is a little tricky.

3 Likes

They look real sharp. I’ve used a Speedball silk screen kit but I used a stencil cut from thin cardboard and a hobby knife. I might have to give this a shot now that we have a Shapeoko.

1 Like

You are making Pink Floyd shirts so which one is pink?

3 Likes

I had this same shirt about 20 years ago. They don’t make them anymore, so I had to recreate it.

1 Like

Come in here dear boy, have a cigar. You’re gonna go far.

4 Likes

Nice Work! Thanks for the idea.

One note, the ink typically takes two days to dry, not overnight. No matter what conditions I’ve found this to be the case.

3 Likes

Wow, who would have thought. I am glad you told me.
Thanks!

Burninating all the peoples!

I need to step up my meme/internet cultlure game, I was not even remotely aware of Trogdor. And now I am. Because of a CNC forum, of all things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you watch the video?

This was one of my favorite websites in the early 2000s. Sadly they don’t sell Trogdor shirts like they used to, but shapeoko to the rescue.

2 Likes

Maybe there is a new strap line in there somewhere…
“Shapeoko, carving the t-shirts of tomorrow today!”

2 Likes

What did you carve the printing block from? And did you use some kind of press for printing?

It was printed from sheet pvc from home depot like this.

I didn’t use a press, I just pushed down hard for 30 seconds or so.

2 Likes

Gotcha. I was thinking about trying traditional linoleum on the CNC. Some give is preferable for printing on paper. Have to try both now!

I’ve done some linoleum stamps here The type of linoleum seemed to really make a difference as far as cut edge quality.

2 Likes

Right! That gray lino is what I was talking about. It’s hard enough to keep an edge.
Cool. Thanks for the scoop.

This might also be useful for leather stamps, though I would go with Delerin for the stamp (Not sure how PVC likes being whacked with a hammer).