Brushless Makita Mod (unsupported)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Capture

These were the settings I was using.

How low can you go on rpm?
My opinion on a plastic like HDPE, is to feed as fast as you feel comfortable. You should be able to get that over 3000 with a 1mm depth.

I believe the minimum I can get this is 2000 RPM

Excellent

Ah, the VFD usersā€™ grounding horror :wink:

Apologies if Iā€™m teaching grandma to suck eggs. Try star grounding first, bring the Shapeoko 0V and the PSU for the ODrive / Arduino all to a central star ground with nice short fat wires. After that itā€™s worth looking at an isolator for the comms signal, not sure what the frequency is but the may be an Opto fast enough and latency isnā€™t really an issue here.

2 Likes

When you say ā€œShapeoko 0Vā€ what pin specifically should I pull that from? The AUX power plug? Also what gauge and how short? Might need to redo my electrical enclosure for that.

From my brief inspection whilst grounding things on mine the Shapeoko control board seems to have a nice chunky ground plane surfaced at the major bolt holes mounting to the aluminium heat sink backplate.

So Iā€™d probably start by putting a crimp ring under one of those bolts to pick up the groundplane in the board.

Note that the USB shield is not meant to be grounded, thereā€™s a nice isolating USB chipset there (the whole board seems to be pretty well done).

4 Likes

Looks like the ODrive HATES it when the Shapeoko turns on even when sharing a ground. Going to have to opto isolate.

1 Like

Is the DC side of the PSU for the ODrive isolated from utility ground?

Not sure.

Its is a Mean Well LRS-350-24 Power Supply:

I think that is isolated yes;

ISOLATION RESISTANCE
I/P-O/P, I/P-FG, O/P-FG:100M Ohms/500VDC / 25Ā°C/ 70% RH

Also, on the block diagram we get to see the input noise filter that isnā€™t in those cheap VFDsā€¦

Anyway, Iā€™m out of ideas on why the ODrive would be upset when the Shapeoko is powered up, if thereā€™s a solid link between the 0V of the MeanWell and the 0V aluminium sink of the Shapeoko controller to give them a common ground on some nice short wiring they should be OK but clearly not.

I just got some of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725BJMTQ

so its not a big deal.

1 Like

Nice find,

Iā€™ll have to find some of those over here to isolate from my HY VFD ā€œRS485ā€ interface, I donā€™t trust the electrical safety of those outputs at all.

Apparently not a very effective one:

"*9. This power supply does not meet the harmonic current requirements outlined by EN61000-3-2.
Please do not use this power supply
under the following conditions:
a) the end-devices is used within the European Union, and
b) the end-devices is connected to public mains supply with 220Vac or greater rated nominal
voltage, and
c) the power supply is:

• installed in end-devices with average or continuous input power greater than 75W, or
  • belong to part of a lighting system

Not much room for the output filter components likely necessary to properly support the current draw!

Well that sucksā€¦

Indeed, I was about to make a ā€œEuropean meddling regulationsā€ joke but itā€™s an IEC standard and applies everywhere to supply of 220V and over.

OTOH, these have an input filter and still arenā€™t approved to be connected to a utility supply, so just how nasty are the HY drives?

Who wants to play with some data?

https://pastebin.com/4dZqerLm

I commented out the code that handles setting the RPM and just kept the part that polls the ODrive for stats. This is from another run of me cutting HDPE (unsuccessfully).

Feed? Speed? Endmill?