Brushless Makita Mod (unsupported)

Indeed, it would also be really nice to see, the next time the controller boards are updated, pin headers exposed for the stepper step / dir / enable signals so that people could use external drivers and closed loop steppers if they want to without having to junk the controller.

1 Like

Good choice, inductance is measured at 100 kHz and an insignificant 2.5 mOhms. Should reduce ripple current without increasing required voltage.

@Vince.Fabā€™s VESC supports accelerometers, maybe heā€™d be interested in adding one to his Modkita? Maybe @CthulhuLabs could add one to his too? Another ā€œreal timeā€ display/meter on the software GUI someday?
Then thereā€™s this approach.

Only real problem I see with doing this is that my Arduino has about 10 feet of wires between it and the spindle. Accelerometers able to detect such vibrations have high data rates over SPI or I2C. Neither of which are really meant for runs on the same printed circuit board.

As for the VESC, I believe it is the hardware version 6 boards that support those.

My VESC should support three separate types of external IMUs. I believe the 6 has an internal IMU. Also Iā€™m not quite following what your guys are talking about with inductors and ripple currents. Would it be possible to explain it in a simple way?

An inductor is effectively a coil of wire that impedes the flow of current (this includes the coils in a motor). With alternating current an inductor will shift the voltage and current sine waves of of phase with each other. The ODrive needs these two waveforms to be shift a minimum amount in order to do itā€™s calculations. The Makita router has a very low inductance so it might not be shifting the two waveforms enough. This might be why I get an unstable current when using the halls sensors.

1 Like

ā€œMost modern motor controllers and amplifiers are based on a PWM power output adapting the required motor voltage by a PWM pulse width modulation. The PWM controlled motor voltage leads to a current ripple that reflects the increasing and decreasing current inside the winding each PWM cycle. The current ripple can be one factor of heating up of the motor windings (even at standstill or without a load attached). The maximum peak-to-peak level (Ipp) of the current ripple depends on different factorsā€¦Additional chokes (in addition to the inductance of the motor winding) can reduce the current ripple stronglyā€¦ In special cases motor chokes may be necessary to guarantee the stability of the current control loop: There is sometimes a ā€œMinimum terrminal inductanceā€ specified by the controller.ā€

Like in VFDs, the PWM frequency is much higher than the motor winding drive frequency that sets the rotation rate of the rotor. So, properly rated inductors can be put in series with the motor windings to block much of the (ripple) current at the PWM frequency while not negatively impacting motor performance. (The current thru inductors canā€™t change instantaneously, nor can the voltage across a capacitor.)

1 Like

What gmack said. LOL

This current probe is accurate to 20kHz, but likely usable well beyond that for relative measurements (with and without the series inductors?) Do you know what the ODrive PWM frequency is?

It is running at 24kHz

1 Like

Thatā€™s close enough to 20kHz that the current probe should be plenty accurate. With one of them connected to your scope, you should be able to easily see any 24kHz ripple component riding on top of motor winding commutation current. If you have one of those scopes that can do spectral analysis, you could also easily measure the difference in their magnitudes.

Quick off semi-topic question. I have one of the last belt drive Z access systems sold. I want to upgrade to either the Z-Plus or HDZ. Not sure which. Considering the experimentation I am doing with the Modkita and the desire to see how far I can go with that I am heavily leaning toward the HDZ. That said, I do not see myself milling aluminum in the near future as I live in an apartment (going to be buying a house in the next year) and do not want to piss off my neighbors. Also I have spent quite a bit more money on the Shapeoko than I originally planned so I am not sure I can justify the cost of the HDZ. Thoughts?

Check out this recent thread: Difference HDZ/ Z-Plus
Lots of opinions there on that matter to help you decide.

1 Like

As someone in precisely this position, itā€™s troublesome but doable. The main thing is that youā€™ll need to build an enclosure. For the Nomad this isnā€™t too bad but for the Shapeoko I imagine space and weight could make it an issue.

I have one. It is in my bedroom and takes up quite a bit of room. lol

1 Like

@CthulhuLabs I have a 3040 cnc on order, and wanted your opinion on spindle given I have a vesc from an old skateboard project. 400w brushless china spindle or modkita? Goal is aluminum and minimal noise.

Can you link to the brushless spindle?

Daedalus 400w Brushless Spindle Motor ER11 48V DC Air Cooled DC Machine Tool Spindle 12000rpm for Engraving Machine (400w Spindle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895XQ99F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SHFpFb9YABZKG

Pretty sure the Modkita would have more torque. It definitely has a higher RPM range. The ER11 collet would be nice though and might have less runout.

Need the speed (reduces forces), not the torque (increases forces).