Can Someone point me in the right direction?

In the first 2 photos, It is an advanced Vcarve function with a 1/4 inch 60 from whiteside and a standard 1/8th inch endmill. It is obvious somethign issn’t set up quite right, but can someone tell me where to start?

The second photo is a letter H which is a pocket command, but it isn’t clearing everything out. It cleans out very easily, but I think it should be better. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Can you post your C2D file?

1x12 tiger flag lower left 11dot375 x 21dot66.c2d (1.4 MB)
here is my cc file, I thought it looked complete and correct in the preview.

I had this happen the other day on some pine while running some pocket cuts. Carved fine in cedar and then pine left a bunch of what you have in your H, Like hard chunks of material. I choked it up to material bending but of way of cutter, but could be wrong. I have seen this happen in the past and instead of letting it drive me crazy just bust out the chisels and clean by hand (although not ideal).

Try reducing the stepover for the pocket operations. You have .062 so maybe try .04" to get a little more overlap in the paths.

2 Likes

Here is what you currently have. Advance v carve with depth set at .060

I just added a separate pocket to see if results changed with a 1/8" bit Pocket depth was .075

I zoomed on the pocket leading into Advance v carve. Looks like v bit is not clearing at full depth as bit for pocketing. Leaving whats appears to be a broken sheet of ice.

So what is the best method to correct this in your opinion? Specifically the vcarve part, the pocket I kind figure would be somehting like that. I actually looked a minut ago and think my bits may be slightly smaller than 1/8th, so that I get.

Played around with the file a bit and notice if you just add a pocket at same depth to where you previously had done the advance v carve it will clean everything up. Seems to be an issue with the interworking’s of the advanced v carve feature.

I added a pocket toolpath that will clean up the tiger and the text.
Also added example Star toolpath how I would run them. Currently disabled.
The stars look like small slits and not carved to their full depth. This can be corrected by adjusting/increasing doc in toolpath.
1x12 tiger flag lower left 11dot375 x 21dot66 added pocket over tiger at same depth as advance v carve.c2d (1.4 MB)

Upon looking at the file I really hope that didn’t take you 7 hours yikes… all tools show up at a snails pace at just 10ipm and really need to be sped up. If you need help here feel free to ask. I got the cut time to under 2 hours for the (CB3D) default speeds and feeds from what I consider to be conservative for a stock Shapeoko. Below is the updated file. Gets you in at about 1:45 minus time for tool changes of course.

1x12 tiger flag lower left 11dot375 x 21dot66 Adjusted tool feeds and speeds.c2d (1.4 MB)

Since I don’t have a bitsetter running this is how I would need to build the file. I would have a few of the toolpaths combined but left them separated for each detail.
Here it is with separated tool paths without advanced v carve for the Whole Tiger.
1x12 tiger flag lower left 11dot375 x 21dot66 Adjusted tool feeds and speeds.c2d (1.9 MB)

Left is original and right is modified.

1 Like

So much help! Thanks to you all. I was just using stock Feeds and Speeds from the tool list provided, I was speeding them up in CM though, but probably not enough. I was running at 160% last night and no issues. Also, running my router on a rather low setting, like under 3 usually. Is that correct?

Also wanted to add that I discovered at this scale I can use a 1/16 endmill to get a pocket, I was only using vcarve as I thought some areas were too small to cut with a 1/16. Can I do a roughing pass with an 1/8" and then do the perimeter with the 1/16?

The speed of the router needs to match the feed rate so as to maintain the desired chipload — the feeds and speeds usually indicate a desired RPM:

Official chart for Carbide Compact Router:

1: 10,000

(1.5: 12,000)

2: 14,000

(2.5: 16,000)

3: 18,000

(3.5: 20,500)

4: 23,000

(4.5: 25,000)

5: 27,000

(5.5: 29,500)

6: 32,000

Clearing out material with a large endmill, then cutting the remaining material w/ a smaller endmill is known as “Rest” machining — Carbide Create doesn’t have a direct feature supporting that:

1 Like

Does CC not import the feed rates from the tool when you select it from the tool library? That’s probably why I was running so slow?

Yes, Carbide Create does use the feed rate for tooling when it is selected from the library.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.