Capture Coordinates or Plugin Architecture

I have been looking into using my CNC to perform CMM (Coordinate Measurement Machine) functions, so that I can plot blue prints / technical drawings and easily capture things like anchor points for segments, knots for splines, etc.

My thought is using the jog feature I will be able to write them down and then reference them in my design software, but I was thinking it would be really nice if there was a plugin architecture for carbide motion, that would allow end users to write utils for the community or themselves.

Any thoughts been had about a plugin architecture?

Maybe a plugin could register input output streams, and be able to write messages to motion to dispatch to the machine, or to be able to monitor the coords. If there was a simple way to add UI for a plugin, you could build tools like a plot capture utility.

See:

I suspect if you want to interact programmatically you will need to use a 3rd party communication/control program (though I’d love to be wrong)

The Grbl folks have a page on options:

Thanks… I have a windows machine setup with a touch screen, so I’ll have to look at the GUI packages for grbl that run on windows. Looks like some good prospects there. Does grbl work “out of the box” with a shapeoko … or are there configs etc. for each model? Just curious what the difficulty of using a complete replacement for motion is.

Grbl just works.

I used to switch back and forth betwixt bCNC, Universal G-code Sender, and Carbide Motion.

I’ll have to look at how grbl connects … I’m guessing it’s a command line interface unless you use one of the GUI wrappers but that rabbit one looks pretty good

I just found this project… GitHub - terjeio/ioSender: A GCode Sender for Grbl and grblHAL written in C# (Windows only).

It’s written in C# which is the language I develop in… the UI looks really good too. Thought I’d share this since I am probably going to look into using this… the UI is based on windows forms … I wonder if the project would be interested in a port to MAUI which would open it up to run on any device.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.