Car Enthusiast's Rotating Wheel End Table

no, its a small motor that will make the wheel rotate as a feature. i could make a caliper shroud to hide it while in use though

3 Likes

That’s kind of what I was suggesting, although trying not to make anymore (annoying) suggestions.

It’s a great project! Can’t wait to see the final result.

1 Like

ooooh! i understand.

definitely not annoying suggestions! and thanks! im excited to see it complete!

2 Likes

finally received the glass along with some of the decorative hardware i ordered. still waiting on my wheel to get powdercoated, and ill need to drop the trim washers off to powdercoat, or paint them myself (ill probably do that because im feeling lazy, and i dont think the powdercoater will have the purple color i want)

satisfying from all angles. just need to pick up some nylocks, and grab a countersunk M10 bolt to keep the tabletop bracket in place permanently.

once the wheel is ready, i can apply my logo vinyl then get some beauty shots!

11 Likes

since ive been radio silent waiting for my wheel to come back from powdercoat, i i figured id share a non-cnc part of the project. this will be the setup for my table, since my bearing plate is different than the new design, so ive had to adjust the setup.

but this will allow the wheel to rotate, at a VERY, VERY slow pace. I found a 6v 1RPM motor that ill be running at 5v, and in combination with this ridiculous reduction (dont ask me the ratio, i just threw it together) it should achieve my goal of being space needle slow, where you dont notice that its actually moving unless you stare at it for a while.

is it over engineered and silly? why yes. but who in their right mind spends this much time and effort making a wheel that didnt fit their car have a purpose :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Now if you can get it to be quiet … :smiley:

1 Like

hahaha fortunately the motor i chose is actually pretty quiet! i was concerned about motor noise, which is why i leaned towards the 6v motor even though they had a 12v. im hoping with the motor bracket and wheel sitting on top of it, it should dampen any noise, and as long as its not deathly silent, i think it should blend right into the background.

still a few minor things to wrap up, buy my wheel finally came back from powdercoat.

IT LOOKS SO COOL.

video of the extremely slow motor turning. its exactly as slow as I wanted, almost not perceptible unless you watch it for a few seconds.

(dont mind my messy basement…its in the middle of a lazy renovation.)

9 Likes

Cool to see this come together! I admire your dedication and details in your design!
Keep up the great work and posting! :+1::clap:

2 Likes

thanks!!

I am really happy with how its coming together. some of the remaining hardware should be coming in today, so its nearing the finish line.

once its 100% finished, ill be bringing it to my wife’s photography studio to get some beauty shots, and to a friend of my dad’s house who has a cool man-cave/hangout space to get some pictures there too, since my basement is still being renovated.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

my original thread closed, so for anyone who was interested in seeing the final product, here it is. I made nearly everything myself, either through manual processes (cutting and welding the frame) with my Nomad (the wheel bearing, and top bracket) or my 3D printers (the motor bracket, and the lug nuts).

The only things i didnt make (other than hardware obviously) are the wheel, the logo (had a friend with a cricut cut it for me) and the metal plate for the wheel bearing to sit on that I had cut from sendcutsend, and the glass tabletop (from one day glass. actually quite reasonable for a custom piece of glass)

(the children find it quite entertaining as well)

11 Likes

Fantastic work and great dedication!
FYI you can ask @WillAdams or @Radiation or myself when you need a thread reopened (for a good reason like that)
I took the liberty to move that post at the bottom of your original thread

4 Likes

oh awesome!! thanks!

Awesome! I have so many [extra] wheels I may have to do something similar :wink: Don’t worry I won’t copy yours exactly :smiley:

1 Like

im hoping to eventually sell the parts as a kit, but i definitely look forward to seeing what you come up with!

1 Like