Carbide Create Beta 767

We just posted 767 to the beta page Carbide Create Beta Downloads

Changes include:

• (PRO) Massive speedup when calculating dense 3D finishing and (to a lesser degree) roughing toolpaths.
  • (PRO) Added a Climb/Conventional option for Contour toolpaths. This is only applied for Inside/Outside offsets.
  • (PRO) Added a Stock to Leave option for Contour toolpaths. Negative values are allowed, but the toolpath calculation will never allow the offset to flip directions. This is only applied for Inside/Outside offsets.
  • (FIX) The output from a 3D Finish toolpath is now clipped to the top of the stock.
  • (FIX) Better progress updates when saving or simulating dense 3D finishing toolpaths.
  • (FIX) Fixed intermittent crash when importing C2D files into another file.
  • (FIX) Strange regression in DXF loader where some curves were rendered incorrectly.

The Contour toolpath changes have only been lightly tested so don’t assume anything right now.

If you have any feedback about problems with this build, please post them here only. Do not create a new thread.

11 Likes

Great news.

@Tod1d you wore them down on the climb cutting.

1 Like

For folks who want a shortcut/rote suggestion:

Metal → climb
Other → conventional

(that is copied from a discussion from the team chat)

1 Like

I prefer to say that he “reminded” us.

Winston goes on about it a lot too.

10 Likes

I think the Stock to Leave option is going to be handy when working with puzzle pieces. Should be quicker than going back to Design and applying an offset then switching back to Toolpaths to test.

6 Likes

If you tried the new build, please add a like to this post so we have a little feedback that we didn’t break anything too badly.

5 Likes

We just uploaded 768 to Carbide Create Beta Downloads

• Added a Check for Updates entry to the Help menu.
  • Layer window now lets you click lock, visible, and layer name directly.
7 Likes

Yay!!! Been waiting for this one :smiley:

It looked like Visible & Lock were working but not the name. Then I realized clicking the name makes that layer active. I was thinking it would let me change the name.
Also note that you must click directly on the text of the name. Clicking elsewhere in the row just selects that layer.

Hi. Figure it may be an issue with my computer but I am getting the following message. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the last version and that one works fine.

Which version of Windows are you using?

Try checking for updates, shutting down and rebooting?

it’s Windows 10. I’ll see if there are any updates real quick and restart it again. BRB

That should not pop up on Windows 10 or 11. I believe that API call got added in Windows 10. (Though, maybe you’re on a very old Win 10?)

I downloaded the bets 767. The Norton Security passed the file. I installed and Norton had a security warning.

Sometimes Norton gives false positives. FYI

Edit: March 3, 2024 I opened Up CC 767 today and got the not valid digital signature message again.

Create is still deleting tabs and corrupting the file.

I always keep up with the latest versions. Create randomly deletes all the tabs in the file. Happened again today. Opened a file and all the tabs were missing. This time I figured I’d see if the tabs maybe showed up in Motion. So I closed Create, WITHOUT EVER SAVING, tried opening it with Motion, and Motion tells me it’s not a C2D file.

Again, when I opened it in Create and seen the tabs missing, I closed it. I did not save and close. I just immediately closed. So Create corrupted the file somehow on it’s own and saved the corruption.

I saved a copy of the file this time if someone needs to look at it.

If I edit, select all, then open the tab box and select clear all, and save it, then Motion will recognize the file.

If I manually add the tabs back in on my own and save it, then Motion will recognize the file.

But leaving the file as is, with the tabs missing, Motion no longer recognizes it as a C2D file.

Where are you saving the files?

Where are you loading them into Carbide Motion from?

If those locations are not the same, how is the file moved from one location to another?

Could you send a file pair (original uncorrupted and incompleat file which will not load into Carbide Motion) to us at projects@carbide3d.com?

Back in the days when I used Quark XPress (which was notorious for file corruption), in addition to the “Quark XPress twitch” of hitting command s after any file change which I wanted to be sure of, and enabling automated file backups, I was re-save the file w/ an appended time/date-stamp using a utility which would type the current date and time (configured from greatest to smallest value, so YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM) — but got out of that habit when I finally convinced my supervisor that we should try out this new program called “InDesign” (which I was a beta-tester for).

I use Carbide Create pretty much constantly and the one odd behaviour which I have noted is that it can run oddly when left running for days on end — File | Save, then quitting, then re-loading restores it to its default state and allows the program to work fine for a reasonable period of time — far longer than an 8–12 hour work day.

I have seen this happen only if I open a CCv6 .c2d or an .svg in CC v7.

If file extensions are hidden in File Explorer and Explorer is not set to view file types, sometimes I pick the wrong file because I tend to name all files associated with a design the same ( ie design1.c2d, design1.svg, design1.pdf, etc) , They all are “design1” in Explorer unless extensions show.

1 Like

I’ve just sent a copy of the good and bad file.

I save my files on my office pc and share to shop laptop connected to S5P via Onedrive.

I’ve done a forum search and I seen the issue has been brought up before.

The file with the “missing” tabs is a v6 file which was created using File | Save as V6 File.
​
​Tabs are associated w/ geometry in v7, and toolpaths in v6, and these are not compatible.

The only option for “save as” in CC is "Carbide Create Files (*.c2d)

I’ve always use “save” or “save as”. I’ve never once scrolled down to the bottom of the “File” list and chose “Save As V6 File”.

The file you sent in is a JSON file which is the old v6 format:

If you can provide step-by-step instructions (which are not File | Save as v6) for how it was made, we will look into this with you.