Carbide Create Custom Tool Library Definitions

Can someone please fill in the blanks on the fields in the custom tool library. Some things are self explanatory and others not so much.

Number=Tool number in library, arbitrary number assigned by user

Vendor=Who made tool

Model=Model Number of bit

URL=Vendor URL for model of bit

Name=Human Readable Name

Type=End,Ball,Vee,Engraver any others?

Diameter=Diameter of bit How to differentiate between imperial and metric

Cornerradius=

Flutelength=

Shaftdiameter=Diameter of bit shaft i.e 1/4/1/8, 4MM,8MM

Angle=

Numflutes=Number of Flutes on bit

Stickout=

Coating=

Metric=

Notes=

Machine=

Material=I assume these are the currated materials from Carbide3d Tool Databases

Plungerate=Rate which CNC will plunge bit Is this expressed in Imperial or Metric?

Feedrate=InchPerMinute (IPM) Rate which CNC will move bit Is this expressed in Imperial or Metric?

RPM=Revolutions per minute of router

Depth=Depth of Cut (DOC) per pass Is this expressed in Imperial or Metric?

Cutpower=

Finishallowance=

3dstepover=

3dfeedrate=

3drpm=

Cornerradius=

EDIT: correction, that is the radius of a ball-nosed endmill

Flutelength=

That is the actual cutting length, so for a #201, where it says, “Cutting Length: .75” you would enter 0.75"

Angle=

That is the angle of a V endmill.

Stickout=

Another bit of future-proofing, that would be how much of the endmill projects from the collet.

Coating=

Whether or no the endmill has a coating, and if so, what it is, contrast the plain carbide:

https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/cutters/products/201-25-end-mill-cutter-qty-2

with

the Zrn coated:

https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/cutters/products/201-z-25-flat-cutter-qty-2

Metric=

whether or no the endmill was defined in metric.

Notes=

field for notes

Machine=

What type of machine the feeds and speeds are for — Nomad or Shapeoko

Material=I assume these are the currated materials from Carbide3d Tool Databases

No, the material which the feeds and speeds entered for the tool are to be used for.

Plungerate=Rate which CNC will plunge bit Is this expressed in Imperial or Metric?
Feedrate=InchPerMinute (IPM) Rate which CNC will move bit Is this expressed in Imperial or Metric?
Depth=Depth of Cut (DOC) per pass Is this expressed in Imperial or Metric?

Like all units, it’s expressed in the unit dictated by the Metric field.

Cutpower=

Future-proofing for the possibility of doing chipload calculations I believe.

Finishallowance=

How much material is left uncut when making a 3D roughing pass.

3dstepover=
3dfeedrate=
3drpm=

Characteristics for cutting in 3D toolpaths.

Thank you Will. I will study this and may have a few follow up questions.

A correction:

Cornerradius=

EDIT: correction, that is the radius of a ball-nosed endmill

Will, Can you clarify “Metric”

What is the value for the field, is it if left blank it is assumed imperial and if the word “Metric” is used then the other bit parameters are assumed to be metric.

What are the requirements of the field for metric and/or imperial?

If Metric==1, then the tool is defined in metric (mm), if Metric==0, the tool is defined in Imperial.

Will would you agree with my interpretation of the Carbide Create Custom Tool Library Definitions.

Number={Numeric Number} Tool number in library, arbitrary number assigned by user, avoid using tool numbers already used by Carbide3d.

Vendor={Text} Manufacturer of Tool

Model={Text} Model Number of Tool

URL={https://example.com} Vendor URL for model of bit, in form of hyperlink

Name={Text} Human Readable Name

Type={Text} End,Ball,Vee,Engraver

Diameter=Diameter of bit, Dependent on “Metric” setting

Cornerradius=that is the radius of a ball-nosed end mill, Dependent on “Metric” setting

Shaftdiameter={Numeric Number} Diameter of bit shaft, Dependent on “Metric” setting (.25, .125, 4MM, 8MM)

Angle={Numeric Number} That is the angle of a Vee endmill expressed in degrees

Numflutes=Number of Flutes on bit

Stickout=Another bit of future-proofing, that would be how much of the endmill projects from the collet.

Coating={Text} name of coating on bit

Metric={1,0} 1=Metric 0=Imperial

Notes={Text| field for notes

Machine={Nomad, Shapeoko} What type of machine the feeds and speeds are for

Material={Text} these are the curated materials from Carbide3d Tool Databases

Plungerate={Numeric Number} Rate which CNC will plunge bit. Dependent on “Metric” setting.

Feedrate={Numeric Number} InchPerMinute (IPM)/Meters per Minute (MPM) which CNC will move bit. Rate depends on “Metric” field

RPM={Numeric Number} Revolutions per minute of router

Depth={Numeric Number} Depth of Cut (DOC) per pass. Rate depends on “Metric” field

Cutpower=Future-proofing for the possibility of doing chip load calculations I believe.

Finishallowance=(Numeric Number} How much material is left uncut when making a 3D roughing pass. Rate depends on “Metric” field

3dstepover={Numeric Number} Characteristics for cutting in 3D tool paths. Rate depends on “Metric” field

3dfeedrate={Numeric Number} Characteristics for cutting in 3D tool paths. Rate depends on “Metric” field

3drpm={Numeric Number} RPM of Spindle} Characteristics for cutting in 3D tool paths.

This is interesting for me, particularly as I really want to try to get this side of things correct.

As an aside, being old and UK-based, I remember decimalisation and metrification - and this has always led to confusion (although hydraulics calculations are much less complicated in metric than imperial!), to such an extent I prefer to use imperial (with decimals rather than fractions) - except materials, which are generally sold in metric sizes, in the UK.

As an extension to @gdon_2003 enquiry, some of these fields, although shown in the *.csv files, aren’t actually visible in the information sheet of the Carbide3D bit (see below…

…) so it can be difficult to use their bits as a comparator when importing bits from other manufacturers (and the hyperlink to manufacturers other than cabide3D doesn’t seem to work, either), so is there a way to “see” all the details of the Cabide3D bits?

Hmm, the value for the #102 Carbide3D bit shows this value as 0.125". That can’t be right :thinking: unless it’s just a marker or ‘nominal’ setting?

I’ve found a way to do this, so I’ll now have to review the settings of my imported bits… :+1:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.