Carbide Create Doesn't Recognize All My Fonts -- Mac --

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am unable to see the fonts in Carbide Create that I have downloaded and installed to my Mac, I only see what Carbide Create lets me, and it is not all of them. I am trying to use a Stencil Font but I can’t get it to be recognized in the font list.

Has anybody else had any issues with this or maybe have a fix?

Thanks

James

No fix but mine are all a jumbled up mess on Windows 10. Meaning they show up in a random order.

Unfortunately, Carbide Create uses the QT libraries and not native font technologies.

Best thing to do is to use a native Mac Bezier app such as Affinity Designer by Serif, save out as a .svg and import it into Carbide Create (be sure to include a 1" square so that you can determine the scaling if need be).

1 Like

I downloaded the trial version of Affinity Designer and used the font I needed to create the project and exported it as an .svg but when i tried to open it with Carbide Create nothing would show up on the screen. It would allow me to open it but nothing would happen, nothing would show up on the screen, and there were no errors. Not sure what is not working but I am half way there, better than before. LOL

Try washing the file through Inkscape

you should also send a file to support@carbide3d.com

I am new to all of this and am not sure what you mean by “wash it through inkscape”. I assumed it meant open it up in Inkscape and then save it as an Inkscape svg.

Yes, open in Inkscape, then resave.

I’m looking at this line in the carbide create guide - “The full library of truetype fonts installed on your computer are available through the text design pane.” I installed a couple of new truetype fonts as a test. They show up fine in Mac apps, and in Word, but not in Carbide Create. This old thread suggests that the statement in the guide might be incorrect. The old fixes given look really clunky. Sure there is a better way by now. Help?

It lists them in order by filename on the disk which means that many of them clump together by font maker name rather than font name. Scroll through the list and look for out of order ones and you may find your missing fonts.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark. Tried that, fonts aren’t anywhere on the list. A lot of the fonts shown by Mac are not on the Create list, but I thought that might be because they are open type format instead of truetype. So I installed some truetype fonts, which show up in other apps but not Create. I thought maybe Create only looks to system fonts folder, so I added the new truetype fonts to the system fonts folder. They still show up in other apps, but not Create. Restarted Mac, though that shouldn’t have mattered. No change. Note from Will Adams above suggests that Create didn’t actually use truetype fonts, but instead used the QT libraries. I don’t know how to add fonts to those, and, based on the guide, it looks like I shouldn’t have to.

My comment on QT libraries vs. native font technologies is in reference to the programming toolkit — it uses QT, not (what I would consider) native “Cocoa” technologies (Carbon is supposed to be native as well, but I don’t much care for it) — the same fonts should be accessed, and they should be loaded from the standard files. It’s just that nsText and AAT/ATSUI (or whatever they’re calling their typography classes these days) are not used.

Load TextEdit.app and play with its font palette to see what a native one should look like — be sure to collapse it down to a single line high as well (I’m pretty sure I was the person who first suggested that feature).

I feel really dense, like there’s an answer there but I just don’t get it yet. I can open textedit, and see and play with all the fonts. But I’m not sure how that translates over to carbide create. The fonts still don’t show up in the Create font list.

The comments about using inkscape as a more capable editor led me try that. I can get rectangles and circles into Carbide Create, but any text object in the file saved from inkscape/imported into Carbide Create just shows up as a box. What’s the trick for getting text from inkscape into Carbide create? Thanks all for being understanding and helpful.

Carbide Create doesn’t understand the text object (and probably other complex structures). To get such things in, one has to decompose them into the basic paths which it does import:

• View | Display Mode | Outline (this gets one a view which shows objects more or less as CC will import them
  • Select all text objects which one wishes to convert (shift-click on each in turn after the first or click drag-select to do multiples)
  • Path | Object to Path — I believe this will convert most other objects as well (arguably one could just select all and then do this)

There are a ton of tutorials for Inkscape and Bezier curve / vector graphics editors — also a couple of other options, see: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CAD

Added the above to: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Inkscape#Converting_Text_to_Objects

Thanks so much! I was exploring these, and good to know it’s the right path.

Hey there… Did you ever figure out how to get different fonts into carbide create? I switched over to a new laptop and I’ve had problems getting the fonts to transition from Microsoft word into carbide create
Thanks for any help you can provide

Carbide Create should see any fonts which are installed in your operating system for all applications to use — which OS are you using and how are the fonts installed?

I have windows. I download truetype font and install. Its always worked becore6. The only diff is that the carbide create software was an updated version when I put it on my new laptop compared to the version I downloaded initially a few months ago. That shouldn’t matter though…right??

No, quit Carbide Create, install font, re-open Carbide Create should work. Are you sure you’re not past some internal Windows limit on number of installed fonts? Try uninstalling all of the ones installed since the latest one you can see, and that one and reinstalling one font?

Have you checked that the fonts are out of alphabetical order?

If that’s not it, post font names and links here, or to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll try to help.

I use inkscape for the drawing - very extensive font set. You have to convert the text to vectors, then export then import into carbide create. You have to learn how to use inkscape, but it’s a much more versatile drawing tool.

1 Like