Carbide Create Pro Help. Wavy Flag

I just bought the Pro license and have an STL from patriot nation designs of a wavy American Flag. I can’t for the life of me figure this out. I’ve done well in 2d stuff with carbide create.

I’m adding my settings for the material, stl, and the roughing. I used an 1/8 ball for finishing and it was at .020 step over, .070 doc, 40 plunge and 60 speed.

I used a scrap piece of ply that was flat, no bows etx. I don’t understand for one why it cut so deep in the middle on the roughing (yea I have dust collection, 4” with a dedicated to the cnc 2hp dust collector)

I don’t understand honestly what I did wrong as it looks good in both the modeling and the rendering. Any help would be appreciated.

g

2 Likes

When an STL is imported, the default height is 3mm, which for a large project is imperceptible.

Please see:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswccpro/07/

and

and

I must be confused. When I imported the STL is shows 0.1 something.
I have mine set to inches. I changed that to .25 and the base to 3. I watch a few videos on you tube and followed those instructions, albeit they were in an older version of carbide pro.

0.25 + 0.3 = 0.55. Assuming 0.75 plywood, that means at the highest spot on the STL you are removing 0.200" stock, and at the lowest point on the STL you are removing up to 0.450.

If a cross section of your STL looks like this, the total height is imported at 0.25, and the 0.300 is added to the bottom.

As for the big gouge down the middle… something went wrong. Although I have no idea what.

1 Like

3mm == ~0.1181 inches

That’s what I figured but it’s still not very wavy after all that.

Send in your STL to projects@carbide3d.com and this link and we’ll walk through it with you.

Okay, given the file:

We work out importing it into Carbide Create.

First, check the dimensions:

which seems a bit small.

Guesstimating from the screens above, we’ll do 24" across or so as a starting point (the concepts from the links above, and as shown below will apply to any size)

Note that the model has quite a bit of thickness to it, so there is no need to add a base.

Going back to the Design pane, we delete the import geometry, and select the goemetry which was auto-traced around the model:

and apply toolpaths:

which gets us to:

If we wish to use a smaller tool with a reduced cutting diameter relative to the shank we inset a bit:

and arrive at:

Assuming that we then wish to cut this out of 3/4" stock, we use that geometry and offset to the outside by tool diameter plus 10%:

Apply

and assign a toolpath to cut that and the original geometry down as deep as is desired:

To verify that we aren’t cutting all the way through the 0.75" plywood we delete the inner geometry as a check:

Note that due to the extra thickness of this model it was necessary to use thicker stock when modeling, so that would need to be kept in consideration when assigning toolpaths to cut through things.

Ok I really appreciate it. I think I understand all that.
I did notice on the finishing path you set it to a 45 degree, does that assist in helping it achieve the look? I only ask because I didn’t do that in my original go at it

Is this supposed to happen. I followed your instructions to the letter and it started cutting this deep in on pass on the right side. I only changed the DOC from 0.040 to 0.50 and plunge from 12 to 18

Where did you set the origin at?

How did the 3D preview look?

How did the preview of the G-code compare to your setup?

William

Bottom left like I always do. It look really good in the sim

Did you mean to change the DOC to .050" from .040"? Changing to .50" is huge.

2 Likes

Sorry typo yes I meant 0.050

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.