Carbide Create V7 Beta

Lightburn uses it:

COREL Draw also uses the term.

Weld is an industry standard term for that function and has different connotation than join or other words. :slight_smile:

Save As V6 loses cut depth resulting in EMPTY TOOLPATH

This is a known problem . V6 cannot parse the depth expressions that are saved from V7 and the code in V7 doesn’t have a flag for toolpaths to save in V6 or V7 mode (which would require some deep changes all the way through the program).

We may end up removing the “Save as V6” command before too long since it was mainly there as a backup in case the new file format code had a big bug.

3 Likes

A thought for a future enhancement of the keyhole toolpath. I was playing around with it this morning, before I had to run off for a meeting. I realized that when woodworking it was advised that using keyhole bits, to use a straight bit to clear the hole and slot, before using the keyhole bit for the undercut. I did code that in CC v7 for my tests. Perhaps setting it up like the advanced vcarve to have the vertically accessible cuts accomplished with a straight bit, and then do the undercut with the keyhole bit. This leaves some room for chip clearance on the undercut step. Probably not a rush item, since it can be programmed by hand as two steps, but maybe a future enhancement.

John

2 Likes

On a router table what you said is true. I have made a few key holes in projects with the key hole feature in v7. I have a slot cutter that has no narrower cutting surface so that would not work for key holes in carbide create. I did some research for my Freud key hole bit and the Freud site gives fantastic fast F&S. Check out my post on key holes.

Since I posted these possible enhancements for Carbide Motion during a brief time when this beta thread was closed, I am going to repost them here since the programmer(s) seem to be watching this a little closer.
It occurred to me two changes to carbide motion that might be nice

Option for a big button screen. I am using a fusion5 windows tablet that has a touch screen. I also have big fingers, which means hitting small buttons can be hit or miss (literally😀). There is the real estate to make the buttons bigger.

I have found it convenient to switch back and forth between imperial and metric for design (some designs are easier in each coordinate system), but that makes it harder to track progress. Having the coordinates displayed simultaneously in metric and imperial would be nice in Carbide Motion.

John

1 Like

Love the suggestion for bigger buttons.

1 Like

If it’s just “Save as…” with naming conventions, I don’t think it’s worth the time and I’d focus on more important features. (+1 for “ramp in” :wink: ) FWIW, I use ‘git’ to track file versions. It also makes for a nice workflow to save to ‘github’ from the computer I use for design and then ‘pull’ files to my shop computer used for machining. No need for a local NAS, network copying or thumb drives. And ‘github’ acts as a backup for all my files.

Thanks for all the feedback during the V7 beta period. We just moved it to the main download page so V7 will be the default version starting today.

11 Likes

Congrats. A lot of hard work really paid off for this release.

I’m still going to push for CC Projects…but v7 is rich in improvements!

• Gary
1 Like

So this means that V7 is now stable and no longer beta?

Correct, V7 is now what we recommend for everyone.

1 Like

As mentioned above: A video discussing the Boolean functions in Create 7 has just hit the airwaves.

6 Likes

The new Boolean is awesome upgrade. I. t took me a long time to figure out how to use tool before. I really like the preview option. Keep up the good work

1 Like

Here is the end of the file used in the video. In case you want to look at tool paths or some other curiosity.
Boolean Tools - Share File.c2d (1.4 MB)

1 Like

I agree that the new boolean feature is great. I was getting tunnel carpel doing Ctrl Z until I got it right. Will Adams has tried to explain the feature but I never got the concept. So a preview of what you get is good.

Rob,
Were you able to create a hot key to pull up Notes?

A big hot key update is planned in the near-ish future.

2 Likes

I am starting to work a bit more with layers in my design. One thing that might be nice, if it is feasible would be to have which layer an object is on listed when you click on the object.
When I click on a rectangle if gives the parameters. Adding another parameter with the layer so you know which layer you are working with (perhaps with a dropdown like the corner parameter, so its easy to move between layers)

John

1 Like