Carbide Motion: BUSY (Shapeoko 5 Pro)

You note in your post that the “Motion controller hangs and CM shows BUSY” at the same line in your test file. This sounds like a software bug. Hoping for a speedy fix to your issue.

From your descriptions above it sounds like you may have an EMI from the router issue.

The USB on the recent Shapeoko controllers is isolated as well as the RPi or Laptop USB. It might be worth trying a job with the laptop running on battery.

The 1V you measured may be a red-herring, a regular multimeter in generic AC Volts mode is unlikely to give a good indication of the high frequency noise emitted by bad brushes or whatever else is making the router electrically noisy.

Have you run the router power cord up and away from the machine from the Z axis, separating it from all the shapeoko cabling? It may also be worth plugging the router into a separate outlet. I would likely also try a noise suppressor on the router power line.

HTH

2 Likes

The floating ground is a red herring. I grounded the SO5 to the same power strip as the laptop and controller through a 1M resistor. AC voltage shows 0. With the Windows laptop the controller still hangs within 17 to 100 lines of Gcode :frowning:

I wish that I had even gotten to the point of turning on the Carbide Router. All testing has been done without even the EMI of a moving spindle.

2 Likes

@robgrz It would be interesting to know if Carbide 3D has considered developing a “PC-less” CNC controller.

I have been having the same issue with my SO5. I was using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, same computer I used for my SO3, and it would disconnect at random points into most tool paths whether I was cutting air or material. I then switched to a MacBook and it runs flawlessly. Support has been looking into it.

While we recommend every bit of ground you can apply, this seems to be a software or firmware bug. We have no idea why it didn’t come up in earlier testing but we’ll see what we can figure out in the next day or two.

We have, and we’ve looked at doing it a number of different ways. In the end, we’ll likely always use a PC/tablet of some type because people want a decent UI, some type of toolpath visualization, and the ability to run huge files. (None of which work really well on the “standalone controller” type of units)

8 Likes

Happy to hear that you’ll likely stick with the PC/tablet approach.

1 Like

On the positive side, my Haas order of a 8mm ER11 collet and milling bits just showed up today in the middle of a snow storm. Finally have an excuse to try out the McFly when Windows is running :slight_smile:

Very thankful for @robgrz and the support / development team for turning around software quickly and troubleshooting this!

1 Like

If the testing goes well tomorrow then we should have a fix out before the weekend.

4 Likes

Using 579 good ground, new HP with ample speed and memory and Windows 11 on a 5 4x2. Was able to cut the stock in half and 4 letters with no issue, but have not been able to complete a simple circular cut without failing, with a host of issues on trying to restart from that point including “busy”. Other routines fine including bit setter but, also having issue trying to use bit zero.

Thank you so much for the update! Love you all at Carbide. My XXL running like a champ since 2019 and can’t wait till I can use my shapeoko 5 once you all figure out the carbide motion “busy” issue we are all getting.

1 Like

For the nerdiest among us: Reflashing Shapeoko 5 Pro Firmware (We’ll try to make it more user-friendly over time)

4 Likes

One last meeting for the day… and then

4 Likes

@robgrz, Nice work! I brought a Macbook Pro out to the workshop and followed the instructions provided (no driver needed). After completing the procedure and waiting a few minutes, I plugged back into the Windows 11 laptop and finished the full test file.Tested it twice to make sure :slight_smile:

Great work and I’m excited to make the first real cuts with the SO5 tonight!

3 Likes

4 Likes

Rob, Thank you for putting yourself out in front of this issue and promptly resolving it. Above the quality and design, it is the support that makes your machines the ones to own.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.