Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

1. I used the .deb from Carbide 3D and it installed easily — @fenrus should be able to speak to the changes which he made
  2. Grbl is the firmware on the machine — Carbide Motion interacts with it, but it’s already installed
  3. There are some touch screens linked above — most of the testing/usage at Carbide 3D has been done w/ 10" screens — I got a Raspad v3 as linked above which worked perfectly (once I swapped out the fan for something reasonably quiet)
1 Like

Ok, so essentially I buy a RPI4, I install Rasbian, I install the .deb for Carbide 3D and I am good to go, right?
That’s really great, thanks. I’ll check for a suitable screen and I’ll give it a try hopefully this week-end.

That’s what I did, and it’s been working fine.

my image is basically a stripped down rasbian that just launches CM full screen on boot…
it adds a network share so that it’s easy to drop gcode in and it auto mounts USB sticks as they get plugged in for CM to access.

4 Likes

@fenrus,
what app or tool are you using to remap the gamepad keys?

I found one as described at:

but it quit working — if there’s a different one to try I’d be very interested.

I also tried qjoypad on the Pi earlier when testing the Pi. I never could get it to work right.
I have justest-gtk installed right now but have yet to figure out how to do a remap.
without any remapping or changes, the up/down/left/right on the pad move the x and y.
the top “trigger” switches were making the Z go up and down but they suddenly stopped.

On CM, in the Jog screen, it does show the gamepad enabled, so if I can figure out the mapping, I’d be set.

1 Like

I feel a little like an NFL Official, but “After further review” the gamepad is actually working in all 3 axis. the “cross” works in x and y and the two left buttons (top left of game pad) work the z axis, the top right buttons work the movement increments.
What I would like to map are the other keys and buttons to match the keyboard functions of CM. However, as you mentioned, Qjoypad do longer works and I can’t seem to get any other linux based key mapper to work. As it is right now, it is functional, but just not as nice as I would wish.
See images:

1 Like

Yeah, the ones w/ joysticks register as game controllers, not game pads — they work, but I find the layout confusing.

Hi everyone, I am having problems in finding a 10’ touch screen at a decent price here in Europe…Would a 7’’ screen work? Has anyone experienced with that?

There are some folks who mention using them in this thread, and the program has had some changes made to support them as noted above — what resolution are you looking at using? Does it match the ones noted above as working?

Actually, I don’t really care about the resolution…as soon as I can comfortably use carbide motion without the painful slowsness of the current notebook and the bulkiness of the big, old display…I think 1024x768 or even 800x600 would be more than enough. I found someone in the discussions above using a 7’’ touchscreen, so maybe I’ll give it a try. I need to order all the different components, and even if I already used RPI in the past, I’d rather avoid buying stuff that won’t be compatible, this is why I am trying to get as more precise information as possible.

The resolution of the screen determines how and where the UI elements will be drawn. 1280 x 800 works, lower resolutions may not work. Please see the links to smaller screens listed above.

Thanks guys! I picked up a Pi 4 yesterday and it was very simple to hook up. Installed Raspbian, then CM and then configured the XXL, bitsetter and spindle control. I then enabled VNC on the Pi and then downloaded the viewer to my iPad and Mac. I’m Loving It! Thanks for all of the hard work on this!

What touchscreen do folks recommend after using it for a while? I haven’t decided if I want a touchscreen or just run it headless. Thoughts?

1 Like

I’ve been using a RasPad v3 — it’s pricey, but seems to work well (although I had to swap out the ungodly noisy fan and put the new one on the 3.3V power leads).

So that’s a self-contained unit where you put the pi inside of it? Interesting but trying to justify the $200+ cost. Are you running CM with that or something else?

Carbide Motion — also installed Inkscape and FreeCAD, but it’s a little clunky to use as a desktop since attaching a second screen disables the touch interface, so I’m going to get a second to use at my desktop connected to a dual-display setup I have there.

I was sitting here last night thinking the same thing that I need to pick up another lol! It would be nice if we could run CC on it as well. :thinking:

I guess I’m late to the conversaition :blush:, but I was trying to download the .deb file for raspberry pi 4 and it says now file not found… any chance anyone know where I can give this a try too?

I currently got my Pi running CNCJS, because I don’t want my laptop right next to the machine :face_with_thermometer: But if we can get something official to run in RPi that’d be extremely awesome!

Thanks!

I just tried the link:

https://motion-pi.us-east-1.linodeobjects.com/carbidemotion-536.deb

and it worked.