Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

I’m glad it worked out for you, thanks for the feedback.

5 Likes

Has anyone had problems jogging? I have had my SO3 for a couple of years and it has worked fine using CM on my PC, but I recently purchased an RPi and downloaded CM on it and the jogging buttons don’t work. I can rapid to any of the 9 predetermined locations on the board (although the motors sound different), but when I try to jog, using either the touchscreen controls or keyboard arrows, the controller moves in weird directions. I originally had the SO3 connected via a USB3.0 jack but moved it to a USB2.0 jack and I get the same results

I’'m using the RPI4 USB 2.0 port and the following setup:
iPAD via vncViewer.
8bitdo game pad as a pendant

No issues jogging using the iPad or via the game pad.

1 Like

I only have jog issues when I mess up and crash the machine. Otherwise no issues at all.

The only issues I have had are related to wireless range on my handheld keyboard. When plugged into my RPI4, the receiver has about half the range when compared to the Windows PC. I just moved the pi closer to where I stand in front of the machine.

@robgrz
I have seen an issue now a couple times where my machine will pause for a second or so and then resume cutting when running CM on a RPI4. It doesn’t disconnect or lose position and everything appears to be fine after. It just gives me a momentary feeling of dismay thinking that it disconnected. Have you guys seen this in any of your testing? Has anyone else seen this?

For reference, I am running stock Raspberry Pi OS with I believe the latest version of CM for the pi. I will double check that when I get home.

Good morning everyone!
I came across this very interesting, and I just finished reading everything…the first thing to say is THANK YOU to all those who made the effort of creating this RPI porting. It is an awesome result, and I cannot wait to test it and replace my old, rusty, half-broken laptop I was using so far to control the Shapeoko…
This said, there are a couple of questions I have

1. Should I use the “official” .deb installation file from Carbide, or the image linked by fenrus? What is the difference between the two?

2. Is the GRBL program already installed in both cases, or I have to manually install it? If it is needed to install it, I was not able to find how to do this, can someone point me to the right direction?

3. Is any specific touchscreen monitor (7’’ if I got it right) that have been already tested and confirmed to work correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help, I’ll order a RPI 4 and the screen as soon as I know which model to use.

1. I used the .deb from Carbide 3D and it installed easily — @fenrus should be able to speak to the changes which he made
  2. Grbl is the firmware on the machine — Carbide Motion interacts with it, but it’s already installed
  3. There are some touch screens linked above — most of the testing/usage at Carbide 3D has been done w/ 10" screens — I got a Raspad v3 as linked above which worked perfectly (once I swapped out the fan for something reasonably quiet)
1 Like

Ok, so essentially I buy a RPI4, I install Rasbian, I install the .deb for Carbide 3D and I am good to go, right?
That’s really great, thanks. I’ll check for a suitable screen and I’ll give it a try hopefully this week-end.

That’s what I did, and it’s been working fine.

my image is basically a stripped down rasbian that just launches CM full screen on boot…
it adds a network share so that it’s easy to drop gcode in and it auto mounts USB sticks as they get plugged in for CM to access.

4 Likes

@fenrus,
what app or tool are you using to remap the gamepad keys?

I found one as described at:

but it quit working — if there’s a different one to try I’d be very interested.

I also tried qjoypad on the Pi earlier when testing the Pi. I never could get it to work right.
I have justest-gtk installed right now but have yet to figure out how to do a remap.
without any remapping or changes, the up/down/left/right on the pad move the x and y.
the top “trigger” switches were making the Z go up and down but they suddenly stopped.

On CM, in the Jog screen, it does show the gamepad enabled, so if I can figure out the mapping, I’d be set.

1 Like

I feel a little like an NFL Official, but “After further review” the gamepad is actually working in all 3 axis. the “cross” works in x and y and the two left buttons (top left of game pad) work the z axis, the top right buttons work the movement increments.
What I would like to map are the other keys and buttons to match the keyboard functions of CM. However, as you mentioned, Qjoypad do longer works and I can’t seem to get any other linux based key mapper to work. As it is right now, it is functional, but just not as nice as I would wish.
See images:

1 Like

Yeah, the ones w/ joysticks register as game controllers, not game pads — they work, but I find the layout confusing.

Hi everyone, I am having problems in finding a 10’ touch screen at a decent price here in Europe…Would a 7’’ screen work? Has anyone experienced with that?

There are some folks who mention using them in this thread, and the program has had some changes made to support them as noted above — what resolution are you looking at using? Does it match the ones noted above as working?

Actually, I don’t really care about the resolution…as soon as I can comfortably use carbide motion without the painful slowsness of the current notebook and the bulkiness of the big, old display…I think 1024x768 or even 800x600 would be more than enough. I found someone in the discussions above using a 7’’ touchscreen, so maybe I’ll give it a try. I need to order all the different components, and even if I already used RPI in the past, I’d rather avoid buying stuff that won’t be compatible, this is why I am trying to get as more precise information as possible.

The resolution of the screen determines how and where the UI elements will be drawn. 1280 x 800 works, lower resolutions may not work. Please see the links to smaller screens listed above.

Thanks guys! I picked up a Pi 4 yesterday and it was very simple to hook up. Installed Raspbian, then CM and then configured the XXL, bitsetter and spindle control. I then enabled VNC on the Pi and then downloaded the viewer to my iPad and Mac. I’m Loving It! Thanks for all of the hard work on this!

What touchscreen do folks recommend after using it for a while? I haven’t decided if I want a touchscreen or just run it headless. Thoughts?

1 Like