Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

Thanks. That makes sense.

Now CM can’t find my Shapeoko Pro XXL. Following steps in manual for first power on: Start CM, flip power switch on cord, press button on front of machine. Blue lights come on inside the control box and the front power button. Click “Connect to Cutter” in CM; get “Cutter not Found” errror. And yes, the USB cable is plugged in on both ends. :grinning:

I can see /dev/ttyAMA0 exists. Is that the correct one?? I also tried powering down the machine, closing CM then opening the Arduino IDE serial monitor (115200 baud); power on the machine and nothing happens. Sending “$$” grbl command does nothing.

I had to restart a couple of times — it might also be needful to enable serial access — I thought I put everything I did above.

Thank you. Fully working now. Or I will be when some missing bolts arrive.

Does the Carbide Motion on the Raspberry Pi check for updates or do I just need to check what the current version is once in awhile?

I haven’t used it enough to know if it does or not.

Thanks,
Jeffery

Apparently checking for updates is not happening in current versions, so you’ll need to follow along here or at blog.carbide3d.com so as to decide when to update.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for letting me know.

Jeffery

Was thrilled when I stumbled upon this. Even had considered reaching out to C3D to see if I could attempt to port to Raspbian.

Got this up and running headless on a PI4 (8GB yes overkill).

Jogging does not seem to behave consistently or, pretty much, at all. Can’t rapid, can’t repeatedly jog in steps, can’t fast. Anyone not running headless have this issue or is this likely a challenge with VNC?

Not being able to rapid position is really odd since it’s just a button-press/single command.

Jogging should just be a matter of button-down commands being passed on by VNC.

Ok. I try a fresh install via the image provided by @fenrus and see if things behave better.

1 Like

Fresh image worked. It behaved the same way at first. Had to open CM, configure things. Reinitialize machine. Then it worked…#usererror

1 Like

Possibly the World smallest Hi Res Display this is a 3.5 inch running on a Pi 400, 800 x 480 @ 60 FPS, no longer made. Getting the drivers to run was a little tricky on the Current Pi OS.

I did it to see if it was reasonable to run a 3.5 inch display. It isn’t in my opinion.

4 Likes

Really happy you guys have Pi builds available.

I ordered a Pi 4, official 7" display and a SmartiPi Touch Pro case for it.

3 Likes

I recently put my own CNC on a Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB), picked up a cheap logitech keyboard and mouse from best buy and a acer monitor from costco to run it on. Then i built a stand to house the CNC, wired a few plugs into it with switches to control the plugs and have the monitor, cnc, and RaspPi on one switch and the router on another. That way, when i go to turn everything on, its a single switch and everything boots up, as opposed to pushing 3 separate buttons and switches.
The biggest problem i ran into with going to a Raspberry Pi was the learning curve of using a Raspberry Pi because I’ve never used one before.

5 Likes

I just ran my first cuts from the Pi… AWESOME. My laptop is saved from sawdust :slight_smile: I LOVE that the Pi version starts in full screen mode. I used autostart that starts carbidemotion when turning on the Pi, so when I turn it on, it boots and bam, I’m right inside carbide motion ready to rock.

2 Likes

@robgrz was just wondering if having the download pages for Windows/Mac separate from Raspberry Pi was on purpose? I’m assuming it’s because the Raspberry Pi was a proof of concept/beta but it seems to be keeping up with Windows/Mac versions. Just bringing it up because by just navigating the carbide3d.com site and heading over to the “Software” drop down for Carbide Motion I’d have no idea that it’s supported on the Raspberry Pi if I wasn’t watching the community site. Just thinking out loud :slight_smile:

Edit: some people may be just missing out on this great option.

1 Like

You’re right, we should do a better job on that. We kept it separate until we were sure it would work trouble-free.

We’ll add that to the TODO list.

4 Likes

Setup my new Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB) last night with fresh install of Pi OS (updated) with the latest CM and noticed while jogging with the Pi keyboard the jogging motion would occasionally stutter (like pause a few seconds and then resume jogging) however if using the mouse and holding left mouse button on one of the jog buttons in the GUI the motion is smooth. Guessing it’s likely a keyboard buffering issue between the keyboard and the Pi (hardware) but just wondering if anyone else experiencing this? Apologies if already stated somewhere above but scanned through the posts and didn’t seem to find anything on this particular matter.

I have been experiencing this and have not found a solution. I have also had issues with small pauses (1-2 seconds) in the middle of a toolpath. These pauses don’t happen in every job. I usually see 1 or 2 in about 3-4 hours of machine time. The finished product doesn’t have any issues other than a small mark from where the tool paused. The stuttering while jogging when using a USB keyboard is consistent and very annoying. These 2 things combined means I will most likely be switching back to a windows pc unfortunately. I am using a Pi 4 with a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS and the latest version of CM. I was planning on doing a whole post once I found a solution. I have not had any luck. I am pretty sure the issue is pretty low level in the Pi’s USB setup and therefore beyond my abilities to locate and fix.

@robgrz Have you guys seen either of these things?

I have noticed that when I connect a Pi to my 4k monitor it’s really laggy, even with pixel doubling enabled. Putting it on a standard 1080 monitor makes it behave normally.

I’m not sure that has anything to do with the delays/stuttering/pauses that you’re seeing but it is the one quirk that I’ve seen here. We haven’t looked into other background processes or cron jobs that might be popping up.

2 Likes

Awhile back I was using a Pi4 running OS and CNCjs. I had some kind of serial comm issue that I never resolved. It was locking up, but also appeared to be effecting movement. Not being smart enough to figure it out myself, I did a little googling at the time. There was mention about certain displays and display adapters effecting performance.

2 Likes