Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

No immediate plans but we continue to have that in mind and we update different parts of the program. Maybe one day.

Not at this point.

3 Likes

Just noticed version 547 dropped today and looks like it comes with quiet a few changes.

5 Likes

Do you have a script watching the page? You noticed that waaay too quickly.

5 Likes

Thats a good idea but no. I noticed the beta changes on Windows and Mac platforms and figured it was coming soon for the Pi so been keeping an eye on it.

1 Like

Last night I got Carbide Motion setup on a Pi 4 8gb with the official 7” Pi touchscreen. Seemed to work flawlessly (besides the machine coordinates window being scrunched) and it’s so nice not having to move my laptop or dedicate a full shop machine to my Shapeoko.

I’d love to see official support for the 7” touchscreen, it’s plenty big and I have no desire to have a larger screen getting in my way.

2 Likes

Is there anyone running this on a Raspberry Pi Desktop? (the OS version for windows and MAC computers)
I just gave the CM on a PI 3B a test and seems to run great. but i also have an older lenovo tablet with windows 10 which for some reason has installed a 32bit os instead of 64 version. not sure if it is hardware requirements but seems to have the minimum req. 2gb Ram and x64 bit atom processor, so the way i see it I have 2 options to try,

1.- Install a fresh 64bit version of windows and see if it works with my hardware
OR
2: what i think would be way better performing is install the Pi OS and PI version of CM.

The main problem with #2 would be I don’t think I’ll be able to install the downloaded .deb file on the atom processor but should be able to install from command line right?? (I’m not that great on Linux but would love to give it a try if anyone knows how to do this)

Allan.

I don’t believe it would work, since it would need to be recompiled, unless Pi Desktop includes emulation for Arm?

Why not just run CM for Windows on the Lenovo? I don’t think CM has gone to 64-bit yet.

Thanks Will, you are right it’s still 32 for some reason (probably CC) i thought it wasn’t and didn’t even think to try, ts running now.

You may already know but you can download a current patched version of Windows 10 from microsoft.com and install it. You would loose any OEM software but you get a fresh 64 Bit Windows OS and you can usually go to the OEM sites and get any of their software.

Be sure to record your Windows License #. Most modern computers have the license in the BIOS but better to be safe than sorry.

Take a look at this page about the Atom Processor. Some are only 32 Bit Processors.

It can be a bit confusing because it’s a pie-shop of full of Pi, but:

The Raspberry Pi version of CM requires:

1. Raspberry Pi hardware
  2. A suitable version of Linux.

Although Raspberry Pi Desktop is a suitable version of Linux, it is not a requirement. Installing Raspberry Pi Desktop on an Intel PC or Intel Mac doesn’t give you a Raspberry Pi compatible device. You basically end up with a suitable version of Linux running on the wrong hardware.

TLDR; The “Raspberry Pi” in “Raspberry Pi Desktop” is totally misleading.

3 Likes

Thanks Guy and Gerry, I ended up installing CM on the tablet as is, with the 32 bit OS, but to be honest the raspberry pi seems to run it pretty well.

Now i’m testing just using the Tablet as the touch GUI through VNC and the PI as the fixed CM. In fact I also used my Ipad 2 with VNC for control so it looks like there is some use for it again.

1 Like

Hi I am a new Pro XXL owner and first post :slight_smile: It came down to two machines for me, and I wanted to share that the Pi option is a big plus for me. My shop is certainly not an environment for computer equipment. It is not the only reason but that is for another thread. :slight_smile:
This was very easy to install and to get up and running with my options, xbox controller, wifi access, webcam, VNC It works great. I just send the files straight to the Raspberry Pi from my desk, head out to the shop floor and away I go. I also like that I can embedded it into the enclosure so it is nice and safe , unlike my laptop would be. I am very happy. :slight_smile:
My two comments for future consideration are: I believe I read that in the future it might become a locked down appliance. I do like the fact that it is a desktop application on the Pi and I can customize my Pi for other services, lights, cameras and my network file sharing, etc
I love the gamepad, it is absolutely fantastic. although, I like compact, neat and tidy therefore , it would be nice in the future to support the smaller controllers, or remapping, The Xbox controller is bigger then I need with using only half of its controls. however it does works great. I will also try a wireless number pad and micro keyboard and I will see how they work out, again remapping might be nice. ie /,*,.,0. I like the idea that people could customize their setups to what works for them.
Just wanted to say awesome job, 2 thumbs up and please keep up the great work.
Thanks

4 Likes

Sharing an oops:). Love the Pi:) My was my oops, the machine went into power save mode in the middle of a job. My Bad. It stopped with the bit deep is in the project :slight_smile: The CM had an error on it, after hitting OK, I was left stuck on I must initialize and no ability to Jog. I could get to the MDI and enter the G code manually to raise the bit, Any ways the issue is how to find away to not get into this situation again. I now start CM with a script that turns the DPMS (power Management off and the Screen saver off. Runs CM and then when it shuts down, it turns both back on. To be fair I was inspired from the CNCjs start up script. It seems to not go to sleep now.
In the future I am hoping to have both CM and CNCjs on the pi as both have their pluses. It would be nice to have both available. Another reason to have CM as just a app on the PI :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I was having some fun today. I do like wood working however I also like electronic and computers. amongst other things :slight_smile: today was a Pi day :slight_smile:
The CM is great on the Pi however I have hit a couple of limitations. all good. The CM looks at life from one side and I want to see what other G-senders can do. I have not used them enough to fairly review each one but what I did do is loaded CM, USG, Gsender and CNCjs all on the same Pi, Cool.
CM was very easy to get going and is very stable. Great job guys.

G-sender is a app image. It is everything you need in one image file. The instruction missed the step that you need FUSE installed to run it inside the image :). I just unpacked it and ran it separatly, very easy to do. I was impressed for the small bit of time I played with it. So easy enough to install. Maybe not as stable as CM. if you have the Visualizer on it works but pegs the CPU and really slows the things down. I ran a project with it off and it works good. It has a completely remappable joy sticks and keyboard function which was nice seems very flexible. Not too bad for a V1.

I loaded up UGS and got it working. It is a Java app so you need to load Java, just cut and paste the command line. The UGS is a simple compressed file you download from their site. Extract it to a folder in your home directory. Go into the bin directory and run the program. Java does not like the Pi’s default Video driver. however that is super easy to change, just load up the config program for pi and change it as per the instructions. The Pi comes with a couple of different ones
I didn’t have time to do a project in this one as most of my time was spent with CNCjs. I look forward to playing with UGS.

After spending hours and hours on CNCjs, and I did get it running, and it works ish :). From a completely Techy view it was just not something I wanted to play with further. When you look for how to install it on the web, you will find many many different ways, But basically it is a Node.js app so you have to load Node.js and the package manager. and a bunch of other stuff. However it was written for a old version of Node.js so you have to load a older set of libraries not the new ones, which give you lots and lots of of warning that they are out of date and they should not be used any more. A bunch of them have security issues :frowning: So after a whole bunch of playing around you can get it up and running, It looks good and has great reviews. However for me the interface kept losing connection to the server portion. the job keeps running, you just cant see what’s going on anymore. it is runs in a browser so you can refresh and re connect and keep going. So after googling this, I saw many “me too” comments and “I am wearing out my refresh button”.
Plus you have to load the server in a terminal window and keep it open while running the client in a web browser. It not the cleanest. not that you cant hide the server side using other apps…Once I added this all up. I decide there where better options for me to play with and I removed it.

I am not trying to review the apps, this is in the sprit of using a Raspberry Pi. And I loaded all of these apps and got them all working together. All these apps have a Pi option, which is great. And to me it is cool that I have them all loaded on the Pi desktop with shortcuts. :slight_smile:
And the winner for easiest to install is defiantly CM. IMHO it seems to be more sable and responsive. It just has a couple of limitations “for me” compared to the others which have a more open work flow. I intent to run a couple and use the one best suited for each project.

Oh I should mention I am using a Pi 3B+. A Pi 4 would be much better however we are in tough times and they are not available right now.

4 Likes

Updated from version 537 today - so many great improvements! Thanks @robgrz!

1 Like

I use Nomad 3 from Pi tablet. Easy to use. I design on my PC and save gcodes to the pi from the PC. Run CM from the PI is great; easier to jog to work origins and having a dedicated machine for the cnc means that if I crash my PC im ok.

2 Likes

@AndyP Do you think you could do a write up for this? Sounds very interesting, just as an option people could take.

Just posed a new Pi build for the weekend at https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/pi/ . It should fix the squished text on the left side when using a 7" monitor.

We don’t have a PI w/ 7" LCD handy to test but it looks good when we use a small window.

7 Likes

Love to see updates for this!
Unfortunately, it does not appear to have solved the issue of blank space clearing over text/buttons.

I think that “Full Screen” button got us. We’ll take another look.

1 Like