Carbide Motion V5 (521) still has jog issues

This is to confirm that the problem reported on this post still exists.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running Mac OSX 10.15.7

Today, my wife and I were doing a test cut and while I was in 0.1-inch increment mode and pressing Z- button a few times to touch off on a piece of wood, the bug happened again and the end mill proceeded to bury itself into the wood before I could react and press the Z+ button and stop the out of control Z axis.

• I was not holding down Z- but doing a push, push, push action.
  • Once the bug occurs, the button that ā€˜sticks downā€™ (virtually) and is the dimmer color indicating the depressed state. It will remain that way until you press it again.

Like I said before, it is like the widget misses the up state so it behaves as a held down button.
I donā€™t know if it is a problem with the widget set that you are using or some customization but I have to be on guard to prevent a crash. :frowning:

And then it happenedā€¦ I was setting up a job for my wifeā€™s gift to someone ( a $180 walnut cutting board) that was to be custom engraved when this bug struck again. I was lowering the Z axis to check 0 in 0.100" increments when it took off and drove a carbide end mill into the stock. !!! I reworked the design to cut out the gouge in the wood.

One last piece of information. I use the trackpad on the Macbook Pro in case you are searching for bug reports. I think you are using Qt so if you bother looking for bug reports, it may help.

RANT
Iā€™ve reported this before (linked above) and got static back from Carbide3D people. Iā€™ve been meaning to get more comfortable with alternative control software (UGS and CNCJs) but have still used CM out of convenience/laziness/etc. I think this broke the spell. Between the strict tool change/measurement flow and the random loss of jog control, Iā€™ve about had enough of CM. I like the ShapeOKO but there are just too many other pieces of control software that are open source and open to fixing problems like this when someone like me sees it as important.
/RANT

1 Like

I find the keyboard to be reasonably okay for Z jogging (< and > or , and .) ā€¦ one tap pretty much gives one increment.

Clicking on a trackpad with tap-to-click enabled (presumption) might not be the best approach. Might be better to use something with a physical switch and avoid the UI buttons altogether.

If youā€™re still interested in troubleshooting this situation, test the situation by using the next smaller increment of Z jog. (Or just default to the smaller increment to see if it occurs again at that setting.)

If thereā€™s a timing situation with your setup, then this could possibly bypass it. Then youā€™ll know some more.

I personally HATE trackpads. I have disabled the ā€œTouch to clickā€ on my PC laptop that I use for CM (I realize that you donā€™t have the same option with a Mac, because there are no physical buttons on the padā€¦but at a minimum, I would force a physical click of the pad rather than just ā€˜tapā€™).

What I did that might help you: I have a USB keypad that I use for jogging and zeroing - I recommend it for two reasons:

1. Itā€™s a physical keyboardā€¦so it has positive feedback and touch and wonā€™t be thrown off by a palm resting on it, or it thinking Iā€™m using more than one finger, gesturing, etc.
  2. You can move it over to the Shapeoko, so you can see what the gantry is doing while you press the buttons without having to have two sets of eyes.
  3. CM has shortcuts for setting the increments (#s 1-4), so my keypad combo is:
  • NumLock (On)
  • Increment number (1-4)
  • NumLock (Off)
  • Jog keys (pgup and pgdn moves the Z)
    Once you get used to using the numlock key, you do the whole thing without looking at the keypad

You can see the keypad in this photoā€¦with the length of the USB cable, I can move it completely across the front of the Shapeoko, but I like to jog with my left hand - so thatā€™s why itā€™s where it is. Highly recommendedā€¦

5 Likes

I have my suspicions what the problem is but like taking your car to the mechanic, you donā€™t want to bias them with that. :slight_smile:
Software is my profession and I suspect an interaction between my Macbook Pro trackpad and the Qt widgets. I found some complaints from a couple years ago but nothing recent.
It will do it in every increment but FAST. FAST uses a different G-code feature than the 3 specific steps.
This is more about lack of acknowledgement. Carbide could have some release notes that say: There are some issues with trackpads and the click widgets and you should stay away from that. Otherwise, people will think that it is OK.

@GJM I agree this is the only apparent solution. Iā€™ve been so busy making gifts for family/friends that I keep using the quick solution, which included the trackpad on my only supported laptop. I have a CNC pendant that is on my table that Iā€™ve been working on and hopefully that will solve the problem for CM and CNCjs.

1 Like

Use the keyboard on your Mac. It is there and supported. Push the keys.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.