Carbide Motion version 635

Hi, I have a 3 XXL which is fantastic. CM version 635 will not connect to machine during setup. Version 622 works just fine. I have switched backward and forward between both version to confirm behaviour, same everytime. I would very much like to take advantage of the improvements v635 gives, so please advise.

Currently using a lenovo windows 11 notebook to drive motion software.

Update: Turned Bluetooth off on the notebook and all is well! Clearly the new version of CM is trying to use BTooth to connect.

There are no calls to any Bluetooth API in our code.

Can you give me the exact model number of your PC?

1 Like

Hi Rob,

No problem. I’m using a Lenovo idea pad celeron based. Quite a low spec device. I also noted CM635 , before turning BT off, was very slow a laggy. This behaviour was not present in v622. As soon as BT was disable v635 was very responsive and connected to my S3 no problem at all. By the way, absolutely loving the new version.

Regards

Peter.

Do you know the exact model number of the machine?

Model name Lenovo IdeaPad 81vt.

A couple of other people have reported the blue tooth as the root of their problem. After they turned BT off everything worked. Since CM and CC do not use BT it is likely a Windows issue or possible a particular hardware/software combination.

When I am in the shop working on my Shapeoko, the dust collection running and the buzz of the router I cannot hear the speakers on my laptop. So I have a portable BT speaker that I use. I like machining and listening at the same time. So hope my HP i7 and BT are not going to cause me issues. For now I will just stay on my current CM 622 until the problem is identified and fixed. I will put my money on a MS problem. Every time they up date and fix 2 things something else breaks. The only defense I will offer for MS is there are literally thousands of hardware combinations in the world. Of course the sloppy MS testing does not help.

All of the affected computers that I’ve been able to lookup have been fairly old, and all Dell + the Lenovo above, but I don’t know how that factors into anything.

I have no idea what Windows versions or what AV software might be involved.

The serial/USB code in Motion hasn’t been changed in about a year.

We’ll keep looking for correlations.

1 Like

I have a SO 3 xxl , I upgraded my PC to a new Lenovo idea centre AIO 3 gen 6 running window 11 home.
I downloaded version 635 and I use USB for connection to machine (Bluetooth was on) no problems.
I ran two separate programs to test including pocket and contour toolpaths.
Everything ran fine from start to finish.

P.S. I like the new workflow much better. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks John, I appreciate the feedback.

Thank you for your prompt response on this matter. I don’t use the BT functionality on the Lenovo for anything, so it is not a problem to have it disabled. If you do find a link between reported cases I would be interest to hear from you. As it stands, everything is now up and running and the CM635 version is a major step forward in efficiency.
Regards
Peter

hello I just recently bought a new computer it is a hp envy 1tb harddrive i downloaded carbid motion 635
and started a job and just like evryone on here i too had trouble machine just stopped reset everythinfg and then cm would not connect after that so i read on here that you should disable the bluetooth and i decided to try that and after i did that cm connected right away and i ran a job today and it ran just fine
so if you have cm 635 please save yourself alot of headaches and disable your bluetooth.it kinda sucks becaus i like listening to things with my earbuds but now i cant for fear my machine wont work

it’s been a busy couple of weeks so I didn’t get to do much beta testing, but I really love the new workflow. My hardest part of setting up new versions is remembering if I have the zplus or hdz lol

1 Like

Hello,
I am trying to install version 635 on my RPI using the standard RPI touch screen and I am having an issue getting though the initialization. I can’t see what is on the bottom of the window since the buttons are below where the screen cuts off.

I get to the point where it established the connection, but I can see what I need to do next. Here is what I see:

I was considering trying out the rpi implementation but I saw the min resolution labeled as 1280x1024 but the 7" touch screen I have is only 800 x 480. I suspect thats the issue you’ve found as well right?

1 Like

Is there an easy way to figure that out? It’s a 4 PRO with a your spindle

\

In the worst case I can find a monitor to set it up with. It would just be better if it fit the screen. The RPI display is not the best since the resolution is so low.

Of all the things to go wrong, this was not what I expected. LOL

Thanks for the help

Actually Carbide3D has done quite a bit of work to fit everything in to the 800x480 screen. The only caveat is the initial setup, which has a button below where the screen can display. I’ve been successfully using Carbide Motion on a RPi for quite a while now with no issues.

2 Likes

Honestly, this is the first I have had an issue with it. It looks like the normal window for operating the CNC fits fine. I am wondering if there is an option to set the resolution high on VNC and do it from a VNC session.

I am surprised that I am the first to mention this.

I recall at least one other report of someone having a similar issue in the last 2-3 months. Don’t recall if they said how they resolved it.
I have an RPi4 with a 10" 1280x800 touchscreen & have seen no issue with the UI pushing buttons off screen or text being cut off - for both the setup wizard or operational interface.

Did you ensure that CM6.xx was in full screen mode? Maybe that would make a difference?

I figured out a way to do it. I use VNC to access the RPI. The trick is to press the command button and then use the left mouse button to move the window around. This is on a MAC. On a windows box it would be the ALT key to do the same thing. I am sure that I won’t have issues after I get it fully set up. I have a couple of steps left, but it is working well enough.

<Did you ensure that CM6.xx was in full screen mode? Maybe that would make> Yes, it is in full screen mode. There just are not enough pixels. It also occurs to me that I could have attached a real keyboard too.