Carbide reading my lines as 2

Hello again, I have been learning to work with bringing images into Carbide Create via ink scape bit map trace. I keep having a consistent problem where Carbide Create reads my lines that make up my shape or my drawing as two lines when it renders in Carbide Create.
Can anyone suggest ways of handling this?

1 Like

Can you share your inkscape file?

This is a result of Carbide Create only having outline tracing.

If you don’t want the doubled lines of getting both sides of a single line, use a marker to fill in all regions.

Alternately, use a tracing tool which has a centerline option, or just edit the file.

If you’ll post a pixel image we can walk you through this.

There is a tracing tool in cc?

Yes.

So I need to download a new carbide and use the new program?

If you have a version older than Carbide Create 520, yes.

Otherwise, it’s in all versions since 520.

This the shortcut that cc added when I downloaded it.

v7 is newer than v5, so you have this feature — just launch CC, don’t select anything, then select Trace Image:

(middle icon in the Import row)

Ok so I played with the trace bitmap in cc. I do get the same issue. Is there a centerline trace tool for Inkscape ?

As was noted above:

For Inkscape see:

https://inkscape-manuals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tracing-an-image.html

which notes:

Centerline tracing (autotrace)

This mode will reduce a shape to an open path. It is best used with handwritten text and other line drawings.

Ok so here is a loon drawn image I traced .

Please post the original pixel image, or the .c2d file which it has been auto-traced into.

What do you intend to do with the geometry?

That traced image would work well as-is for a V carving.

Here is the original image I was tracing.
I originally traced it on ink scape and have also now traced it via Carbide Create and when this image is through tracing, it creates that double pathing problem when I contour at the center of the line

That is a photo of the file loaded into your browser.

Please upload the actual pixel image here, or the .c2d file which it has been imported into.

What is it that you intend to do with the design that the outline tracing isn’t workable?

Oops that was wrong image user! I’ll get the true image when I’m back to my pc.

But the image looks the same that i used to trace from in both Inkscape and cc and both programs give me the 2 lines you see in the image when opening in cc.
I use contours on center offset a lot and the two lines both get carved. I only want one line carved though.

How are you planning on carving it? As mentioned before, this will look like your drawing if you v-carve it.

Yes, but it’s not perfect. For something simple like your drawing, I’d just redraw it in inkscape. (Manual centerline Trace). It’ll get you what you want, and though tedious, it wouldn’t take too long.

I’m still feeling a bit lost on this subject here. Sorry if my question is a bit redundant, do most people just use the double line.? Hey pretty much destroyed all detail I’m trying to carve. I am using the contour with a V bit instead of the curve at the moment.